A few pics from today’s square baling

/ A few pics from today’s square baling #161  
Low ph is acidic, ph=7 is neutral, above 7 is alkaline. Lime is an alkaline.
We used to use poor mans lime, ie limestone dust on our fields.

/ A few pics from today’s square baling
Low ph is acidic, ph=7 is neutral, above 7 is alkaline. Lime is an alkaline.
We used to use poor mans lime, ie limestone dust on our fields.
We use what we call “Highway lime”.

Yesterday (Saturday) I finally completed a set of fields. Took 4 days, interrupted by some breakdowns.
Saturdays around here are fox hunting days on this particular estate.

Took a few pictures of the scouts and the kennel truck.

1638111552276.jpeg

Scouts on horseback
The dirt mound behind them is an old shooting range berm. The property owner was a chemical engineer and formulated gunpowder. He would routinely bring home gunpowder, load cartridges and fire them on his range on the farm.

1638111602635.png

/ A few pics from today’s square baling #164  
I'm not big into reloading, but the few times that I've done it, I was amazed at all the different types of gun powder that are out there. Fast burning, slow burning, and different levels of power all made such a huge difference in how my ammo performed. I wonder if that guy invented what I use today?

I'm not big into reloading, but the few times that I've done it, I was amazed at all the different types of gun powder that are out there. Fast burning, slow burning, and different levels of power all made such a huge difference in how my ammo performed. I wonder if that guy invented what I use today?
He was a DuPont engineer and a member of the DuPont family. DuPont literally won wars for us with their massive production of gunpowders.

/ A few pics from today’s square baling #166  
Unloaded my last load of hay baled November 10 2021 of 3rd cutting

Attachments

• BE649400-92CF-4027-894C-3D6478070EE5.jpeg
    BE649400-92CF-4027-894C-3D6478070EE5.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 79
  • 8CEF52E3-9803-4A7D-8265-F0DB91E0EF9F.jpeg
    8CEF52E3-9803-4A7D-8265-F0DB91E0EF9F.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 88
  • D0C03FFE-C882-49B7-A308-B21496A3036B.jpeg
    D0C03FFE-C882-49B7-A308-B21496A3036B.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 83
   / A few pics from today’s square baling #167  
Getting 3 cuttings is mighty good for that part of the country.

/ A few pics from today’s square baling #168  
Getting 3 cuttings is mighty good for that part of the country.
I regularly get 3 on several of my fields and even 4 but mother nature wasn't allowing that last year. Several years ago I did 5 on one field just to say I did. We do both baleage and dry, that makes it little easier. Baling dry in November, now that's rare.

/ A few pics from today’s square baling #169  
Yesterday (Saturday) I finally completed a set of fields. Took 4 days, interrupted by some breakdowns.
Saturdays around here are fox hunting days on this particular estate.

Took a few pictures of the scouts and the kennel truck.

View attachment 722620

Scouts on horseback
The dirt mound behind them is an old shooting range berm. The property owner was a chemical engineer and formulated gunpowder. He would routinely bring home gunpowder, load cartridges and fire them on his range on the farm.

View attachment 722621
Those don't look like western saddles :) I've ridden a few times on what we call English saddles, i always felt like i was going to make an inopportune swipe at the saddle horn to adjust my stance and off i'd go. Didn't happen, but.....

I regularly get 3 on several of my fields and even 4 but mother nature wasn't allowing that last year. Several years ago I did 5 on one field just to say I did. We do both baleage and dry, that makes it little easier. Baling dry in November, now that's rare.
We get some really nice weather down here for about 2 weeks in late October early November.
That last gasp of dry sunny climate down here has saved my butt from what you went through.