A kid gets terminated at work...

/ A kid gets terminated at work...
Then I moved South. It's a lot like living on a one way street.
Funny you say that. I was going to argue you about that comment since I've been down in NC for over 20 years, but everyone I have worked for is located out of state per their home office :ROFLMAO: The one local company in NC I did interview for wanted me to sign a 23 page no compete clause which basically gave them the right to fire me for any reason and then keep me out of the industry for 3 years if they did let me go. I told the guy I couldn't work for him. He actually didn't understand why I said no.

That was a valuable lesson. It was better to "live it" than have someone explain it to me. So maybe what is coming is good for your kid.
Exactly the way my wife and I see it. Nice thing is the kid has little overhead going to school and everything earned is banked religiously.

Apparently one shift manager keeps screwing things up, particularly the work schedule, but the company won't replace her because they're afraid afraid they won't find anyone else, so my kid is stuck with this shift manager. Another work place learning experience being stuck with a not so great supervisor vs other supervisors on how they interact with the employees LOL

Last edited:
   / A kid gets terminated at work... #54  
It seems so easy to blame the poor and stupid for the worlds problems but they really aint the ones running the place.
And thank God for that!

It seems so easy to blame the poor and stupid for the worlds problems but they really aint the ones running the place.
No matter what your job, do it to the best of your ability.

When you only copy the previous work schedule beacuse it's the easiest thing to do when people have already put in for time off and you don't change the schedule, yeah, it's the poor, stupid and lazy people running the show who are to blame IMO.

You only get what you pay for most of the time when it comes to help when you're the brains of the outfit 😁

/ A kid gets terminated at work... #56  
My one child (sophomore in high school) works for a pretty well know national "upscale" food chain.

I heard my wife talking with my kid, and she (wife) was laughing hysterically, so I was curious as to what was so funny.

A coworker a while ago (teenager as well) apparently brought pot/weed into the restaurant, didn't want it on him, didn't know what to do with it, so he put in a oven. Low and behold, either the oven was on or someone turned it on with the pot/weed still in the oven, and you can guess what happened...

Apparently that was only good for a write up....

Little while later, same kid who threw the pot/weed in the oven got caught in the bathroom smoking his stash with other some other co workers in the bathroom. Same story, everyone written up, no one terminated.

Well, the third strike that finally got the two peat offender fired was he overcharged a customer $1.50 on their invoice.

Break the law twice where you could actually be arrested, no problem, keep your job. Make a simple mistake which anyone with a bad day could do, and that's the final straw?

Have to give my kid credit, already applying for other jobs to find something better.

Management probably had evidence that the individuals cognitive abilities were decreasing and the previous incidences of cannabis abuse alerted them to the fact they had a ticking time bomb employee that needed to go.

All the things people do not want you to know about the God given herb, Marijuana.

"Cannabis use has been shown to impair cognitive functions on a number of levels—from basic motor coordination to more complex executive function tasks, such as the ability to plan, organize, solve problems, make decisions, remember, and control emotions and behavior."

Last edited:
Management probably had evidence that the individuals cognitive abilities were decreasing and the previous incidences of cannabis abuse alerted them to the fact they had a ticking time bomb employee that needed to go.

All the things people do not want you to know about the God given herb, Marijuana.

"Cannabis use has been shown to impair cognitive functions on a number of levels—from basic motor coordination to more complex executive function tasks, such as the ability to plan, organize, solve problems, make decisions, remember, and control emotions and behavior."

Good reply, but I have enough information to honestly believe that 20 and 40 year olds "managers" making $10 to $11 an hour as management may be no better than 16 year olds making $8 and change an hour.

A guy accidently burns weed in a business oven, he's fired, period. Common sense. For myself, it's not even open to discussion.

Had a talk with my son last night. I'm proud of him for still sticking it out, but if he wants to make a good first impression for job interviewing, he first needs to get a hair cut. The question becomes how much does he actually want to leave vs the changes he might have to make on his end (ironically enough, played "Signs" the song for him from the five man electrical band off my phone for him as well, and told him I may not think it's right or wrong, just the way of the world, and this song was written in 1971).

Since he's still in high school with 2 years left, and a CRAP LOAD of money he's saved, he could realistically stick it out if he wants to until he graduates.

Still a good learning experience dealing with horrible managers on his end.

Last edited:
   / A kid gets terminated at work... #58  
Had a talk with my son last night. I'm proud of him for still sticking it out
It sounds like your son is learning some very valuable lessons much earlier in life than a lot of others. Good for him!

It sounds like your son is learning some very valuable lessons much earlier in life than a lot of others. Good for him!
I sincerely think he is.

I also told him that's why I don't get on him about his hair LMAO (decent grades and he listens at home)

Kid is smart though. He told me girls like to run their fingers through his hair (both my father and I had a #2 on sides most of our lives LOL).

I did tell him if I was hiring, his hair would be a negative as when it comes to job interviews, the expectation is "clean looking". Not saying it's right or wrong, but when it comes to job interviews, one aspect is the presentation of yourself as a person, which is very important IMO. Keep in mind, we're talking 16 year old work here.

Got to give my one kid credit.

The workplace is now giving at least a $3 wage increase becuase they lost so many people. My kid has the most seniority at the workplace now because everyone else hired prior has quit.

To give you an idea of the soap opera... kid drives 30 minutes into work because work doesn't have the work scheduel up yet (when they are supposed to). When the kid gets there to find the work schedule, the "manager" asks him to work that night even though they aren't scheduled, BUT... the manager wants the kid to change into "work clothes" (kid wears an apron, washes dishes and takes the trash out for the most part where no cusomters see them LOL) and management wants the kid to drive all the way home to change a SHIRT only? I tell my kid "NO, they want you to work now, you stay there, as it makes no sense for you to drive 2 hours round trip (with gas paid on our side) when the kid is doing them a favor by staying to work when they aren't scheduled.

What do you know, the "manager" agreeded with my assesment and let the kid stay to work without having to drive back to our home a second time because they don't know how to scheduel.

The key to having good people is using common sense, do what you're supposed to do as a manager, and treat people the way you expect to be treated. Do that, no need for a union IMO.

Last edited: