A Long Trip And a Nice Visit

/ A Long Trip And a Nice Visit #1  

MossRoad

Super Moderator
Tractor
Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year
My family and I took a rather long two week vacation at the start of June. We drove from Northern Indiana west on 90 all the way to the Bozeman Montana area, our furthest west destination. We saw many amazing and wonderful things along the way including, but not limited to: the falls in Sioux Falls, SD, the Corn Palace, the Grasslands National Park, the Badlands, Wall Drug, the Black Hills, Mt. Rushmore, the Crazy Horse Monument, Deadwood, Devil’s Tower, Yellowstone National Park and the Tetons National Park. One of the best times we had, however, was meeting up with fellow TBNer and Power Trac owner, Pajoube. Paul, his wife and their moms were able to stop by our place last year for a quick visit and we were very happy that we could do the same with them two weeks ago. Here’s a picture of the six of us in their front yard… from left to right, PJ, our #1 daughter, Mrs. PJ, our #2 daughter, Mrs. MossRoad and me. A fine looking bunch if you leave me out. ;) Paul and I got to compare some Power Trac notes while I think our wives compared notes on our crazy tractor obsessions.:rolleyes: It was nice to see an updated model of the PT425. Paul’s is, I believe, about two years newer than mine. Some observations I made were:

- His tractor is several inches longer than mine.
- It is much, much quieter than mine with the same Kohler engine. I believe this is due to the mid mount muffler and insulating wrap around that muffler.
- His motor is turned 180 degrees from mine and set at the very rear of the engine compartment so that the cooling fan is pointed out the back.
- In front of the engine is his tram pump, which is hydraulically operated VS my cable operation.
- In front of the tram pumps are his two PTO pumps. Mine are behind my engine.
- His fuel tank is in the hood. It was very easy to open the hood. I was very surprised as I expected it would take more force.
- The battery and hydraulic filter are mounted way up high, where my fuel tank would be. This looked like a much superior setup than mine. Everything was much more accessible.
- His treadle assembly is the hydraulic version and the foot pedals require a very light touch compared to mine, which I have to stomp down on due to the spring tension in my hydroback assembly.
- His wheel motors are mounted much diffently than mine, They are on individual brackets that are bolted to the frame, whereas mine are mounted on a different type of bracket that is welded to the frame.
- He also has the higher lift height. I noticed the front shelf of his model where the lift cylinders are attached is deeper than mine, with a large recess in the front.

All in all I’d have to say I liked his tractor better than mine! :eek: Shh!!! Don't let her hear that. :)

The PJ's are wonderful people. My wife and kids really took to them. (Paul makes a mean bowl of popcorn, too.) I look forward to the day when we can meet up again. :D

We had a discussion regarding the folks that frequent the Power Trac forum here on TBN. The combined knowledge of the folks here is amazing. But what is more amazing is the way we treat each other. TBN in general and the Power Trac forum in particular is a unique and special place. I've enjoyed hanging around here for the better part of 6 years. Conversing with all of you is one of the highlights of my day. Hopefully in the future more of us can meet up and share a meal or just a beverage and talk tractors, family and life in general. Thanks to all of you, and Paul in particular, for making it this way. :)

David G.

Attachments

• PJandDG2tbn.jpg
    PJandDG2tbn.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 224
   / A Long Trip And a Nice Visit #2  
It's always great to meet up with other TBN'ers. :cool:
But the PINK shirt is a bit much even on the Power Trac forum. :p

/ A Long Trip And a Nice Visit #3  
MossRoad said:
A fine looking bunch if you leave me out. ;)

Moss, have you lost weight? Or maybe all the older pictures of you include a winter coat. ;)

Thanks for review. Very interesting. The design of Paul's tractor is my favorite PT. I can remember when I frist saw them at the factor. Lot's of improvements. Too bad they only kept that exact design a year or two (with the fuel tank on top and wrapped muffler).

I agree with your comments about the forum. Lot's of good people here. Cheers.

/ A Long Trip And a Nice Visit #4  
Sounds like you had a great time. Interesting on the 425 update. How did you like the corn palace? I remember seeing some sort of documentary on it, was pretty cool, and a lot of work.

/ A Long Trip And a Nice Visit
My youngest daughter picked the color to tye-dye the shirt... kind of like those father's day neckties;) .

Yes, I have lost some weight. I was at 223 at my peak. I was at 213 before we left for vacation. I was down to 204 the day we got back and was at 202 yesterday morning. :D

The Corn Palace was pretty neat. What was very intersting was along the halls they had pictures of just about every year that they did it. Some were missing from years that they had hard times and couldn't justify using the plant products to decorate. Also, it is still an active convention center and a basketball arena. They also have good popcorn, but not as good as Paul's. :)

/ A Long Trip And a Nice Visit #6  
Thanks for the warm comments David.

This was a rare opportunity for me to have another TBNer and PT425 owner to talk with face to face. Asking my many questions showed my ignorance regarding engines but David was very gracious explaining each point, just as he does as a TBN moderator. David and his family are wonderful people who I hope will come again. His comment about a PT get-together would be really great. I could name (but I won’t) a few PT owners that are real characters that would be fun to meet.
Life goes on but the memories will last a long time. My wife just said she was calling David’s wife regarding his comment about wanting a newer 425. Sorry David.
For those that get to Indiana you must stop and say hello to David, a real treat is in store. And if coming out West please let me know and I will have the coffee on and if evening, the popcorn ready.
PJ

/ A Long Trip And a Nice Visit #7  
pajoube said:
Thanks for the warm comments David.

His comment about a PT get-together would be really great. I could name (but I won’t) a few PT owners that are real characters that would be fun to meet.
PJ

I for one would LOVE to get together with some kind of PT gathering! Find a central spot and let's have it!

pequeajim said:
I for one would LOVE to get together with some kind of PT gathering! Find a central spot and let's have it!

I would host it if I had a larger home, more than one bathroom and some place for folks to park. In a couple years I hope to have those requirements... :)

I already have enough land and plenty of places to "test" implements. Dirt piles, brush piles, long grass, thick trees, etc... plenty of room to play. Also plenty of room for a few campers ;) I just need to get the house built!:eek:

/ A Long Trip And a Nice Visit #9  
MR, How are the plans for building going by the way? I can't remember off hand if that is in the near horizon or down the road several years.

I've read some very neat threads on the other TBN forums of people building barns with upstairs living quarters on their land so they could live there until their dream house could be built. Many of them though have had the kids move on and with a family of four at home that option could become very cramped for you. :)

BillCroasmun said:
MR, How are the plans for building going by the way?

Well, let's see... :rolleyes:

We got married in 1985. Bought a very small 2BR house( 720 sq. ft.) and paid it off real quick. Then bought 20 acres in 1989 or 90. Paid that off real quick, too. Had lots of it re-forested and installed the foundation for a 24x32 two story garage in the spring of 92. #1 daughter came along shortly thereafter :). Garage went on hold. Bought a larger 1300sq. ft. 3BR house in 1995. Paid that off real quick, too. Got plans for house on land. Started getting quotes. Looked to start building in 97. #2 daughter came along in 97 :). Plans went on hold again. Then came school, braces, etc... all that fun stuff. As you can see by our pattern, we like to pay as we go. We won't be able to do that with the new house. Wife and I want it, but don't want mortgage... :rolleyes: .

Soooo.... currently we have basic floor plan that we like. Ranch style house with walkout basement. Living room, dining/kitchen, master bedroom/bath, 1/2 bath and laundry on first floor. Storage, recreation, two bedrooms and full bath in basement. It should look something like the pictures I've attached, except it will be in a clearing in the woods, not floating on green computer animated surfaces.:p The spot on the property is picked. We are questioning friends about the builders they have used and we have sent preliminary paperwork to some financial insitutions to see how much $$$ we can qualify for. Then we have to hold our breath and jump in. :eek:

Attachments

• Image1lores.jpg
    Image1lores.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 138
  • Image2lores.jpg
    Image2lores.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 138