A-MAZE-N BBQ tube smoker

/ A-MAZE-N BBQ tube smoker #1  

nickel plate

Veteran Member
Tractor
2002 New Holland TC40S
This is an "A-MAZE-N" (brand name) wood pellet smoke tube that I just bought. Made of stainless steel and starts out at 7" and expands to 12", the literature says to expect two hours of smoke at 7" and four hours at 12". Haven't yet smoked with it but did run a test in my Weber kettle (top and bottom vents full open) at 7" and got 1-3/4 hours of unattended constant smoke, I'm o.k. with that.
Simple to operate, fill it, stand it up and light with a propane bottle torch, once it starts to flame let it burn for ten minutes then blow it out and place in the BBQ. It will work in gas, electric and charcoal units for cold and hot applications. It is also made in longer nonexpanding lengths but I want the versatility for a quick smoked dinner steak or a longer cold smoked anything else-even cheeses!
Any TBNers have one?

Attachments

• IMG_3847.JPG
    IMG_3847.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 193
  • IMG_3848.JPG
    IMG_3848.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 191
  • IMG_3851.JPG
    IMG_3851.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 178
   / A-MAZE-N BBQ tube smoker #2  
Yes I have two. I use mine in my Traeger, when I want to add extra smoke. Which is usually when I am using temps above 225F, where a pellet cooker tends to cook more and smoke less.

As far as "quick" smoke goes, that's not usually how smoking meat works. Ideally, you want to cook a steak fast over very high temperatures, so it's difficult to impart much more than a hint of smoke in them. I cook steaks at 800F or higher. So, I don't bother with the smoke tube.

I use pellets in my smoke tubes. And, since they tend to fall out the end when you lay it down, I wired a large steel washer to the open end. That does the trick.

/ A-MAZE-N BBQ tube smoker #3  
I have one I use in my Green Mountain-works great for adding a bit more smoke flavor

/ A-MAZE-N BBQ tube smoker #4  
I use the rectangular one in my gas smoker. If I fill it up, I get 8+ hours of smoke. Since its cold out I cold smoked 10 blocks of cheese today using apple pellets for 4 +/- hours. For me the pepper jack was the best, having family over tomorrow so I'll see whats liked the best. Don't forget to nuke the pellets before putting them in the smoker and lighting them.
UPDATE:
Did this again as a blind taste test with Gouda, sharp & extra sharp cheddar, pepper jack and co-jack. Smoked them for ~1hour.
Did each batch separately with apple, pecan, cherry and hickory pellets. Cheeses were numbered 1 through 6 with a dash 1 through 4 for the smoke. Had 20+ people at the rifle club as testers. The winning smokes in order were pecan, apple & cherry. Nobody liked the hickory. Cheeses were Gouda, Pepper Jack, sharp & extra sharp were tied. Co-jack came in last by all testers.

Last edited: