A PTO shaft day

/ A PTO shaft day #1  

Johndeere3720

Padawan Tractor Learner, Advertiser
Tractor
Bobcat T62, MT55, E42R, E10, John Deere 4100
It started when i decided to fix up my neighbor's John Deere 413 brush hog a few weeks ago. He and I made a deal that I could sell it and get half profit. So of course, I couldnt pass it up. :thumbsup::D It had a dent in the back, so I pounded it back, welded up the cracks, and painted it. Then I took off the PTO shaft. Funny story, it was rust welded together. So my grandpa and I wrapped a chain around a tree to pull it apart with the skid steer. Didn't even budge it. Then we tried two pick up trucks, didn't budge it. Brought it down to the family farm and they cut it in half. :confused2: Sure enough, it was rust welded all the way up the shaft. So I now decided to salvage the U-joints and yolks so i could just get the new shaft and use the salvageable parts. So I ended up with two lengths of PTO shield and since i was putting a new gasket on my tiller today, I found out the guard was exactly the right length for my tiller. :D:cool:;) My tiller didn't have one since it was melted off in the barn fire I got it from so i hooked it up and it is barely long enough, but long enough to use. Then I took a small chain and got it hooked up to keep the guard from turning and finally, hooked it up to the tractor and it worked great! :thumbsup::D Now onto the mower shaft. Brought it down to the machine shop and they cut out the old shaft and installed a new one. We ran to John Deere and got the 5/16 x 2.5" roll pins and $100 later it is like a new shaft, minus the guard. I looked at a new guard which was $85, but didn't get it because I need to make $$$ on this mower when I sell it, otherwise it is a worthless cause. Got everything hooked up and I am just about ready to list the mower for sale.

Attachments

• 020.JPG
    020.JPG
    931.6 KB · Views: 152
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    908.4 KB · Views: 295
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    904.8 KB · Views: 156
  • 035.JPG
    035.JPG
    916 KB · Views: 433
  • 030.JPG
    030.JPG
    918.4 KB · Views: 225
   / A PTO shaft day #2  
It started when i decided to fix up my neighbor's John Deere 413 brush hog a few weeks ago.one. We ran to John Deere and got the 5/16 x 2.5" roll pins and $100 later it is like a new shaft, minus the guard. I looked at a new guard which was $85, but didn't get it because I need to make $$$ on this mower when I sell it, otherwise it is a worthless cause. Got everything hooked up and I am just about ready to list the mower for sale.

:thumbsup:
Looks good !
Smart move keeping original color.
If you would of painted it yellow it would of dropped the value.
Folks might of thought it was a Queen Krutter or a Crummyline !!!!!!!!!!! :laughing:

Boone :)

:laughing:

/ A PTO shaft day #3  
Guards are for sissy's...

...zippy up the flame retarded suit quickly, here comes the safety police :thumbsup: :D :laughing:

/ A PTO shaft day

...zippy up the flame retarded suit, quickly here comes the safety police :thumbsup: :D :laughing:

Yeah, I just put it on basically for 2 reasons. 1. i have been lending my tiller out to my uncle lately and feel it is safer to have every safety device on my tiller when ever I let someone else use it. :) And 2, I cant throw anything away. :laughing:;)

/ A PTO shaft day

...zippy up the flame retarded suit quickly, here comes the safety police :thumbsup: :D :laughing:

The safety police will love the new PTO shaft on the mower without the guard. I am aware of the dangers and if the next owner is concerned, then they can go ahead and get one and install it themselves.