A Question About Field Mowers

/ A Question About Field Mowers #1  

RockWrangler

Bronze Member
Tractor
New Holland Boomer 20
I am just finishing my third year on my current property and have encountered a mower question I don’t have enough experience to answer.

I am located on a basalt rock shelf with a very thin layer of dirt. The previous owners pastured a few beef cattle on the 1.5-2 acre back pasture and goats on a side area of equal size. They trucked in soil for the back pasture and sowed it with pasture grass; the side pasture was left as nature made it with large areas of exposed rock.

We don’t have animals currently, so I have been mowing the pasture grass, hoping to preserve the forage for future animals. I bought a flail mower from Betstco in Oregon, figuring it would be more tolerant than a rotary mower of the bare rock poking through the thin trucked-in soil. The first two years went well enough that I could see the lay of the land and was able to avoid the worst of the exposed rock.

The problem this year is we had a long, cold, wet spring. The grass grew like crazy, but the underlying rocky base held the water, so I couldn’t get the tractor out without tearing up the thin layer of dirt. I decided to wait until things dried out before mowing.

When I tried mowing in early July, I saw the grass was mostly just being pushed over without much cutting, but thought that was due to the length (2-plus feet). It wasn’t long, however, until I smelled smoke and saw a waft of smoke blow past me. I turned around and saw smoke rolling out of the drive belt housing. I shut off the PTO, raised the mower, and drove to the barnyard. As you probably guessed, the blade axle was locked up solid with tangled grass stems.

I thought maybe if I waited until the grass dried out in the fall, the dead stems would break or tear more easily than the green. I was wrong. I didn’t make it 50 feet before the same thing happened again. Obviously, the flail mower is not the best tool for this situation.

As I said, there are large areas of exposed rock that are not always visible when the grass is tall. Short of memorizing every square foot, it is almost a certainty I will hit rock with the mower. My question is whether a rotary mower would work any better than a flail mower. The individual flail blades may be deflected better than a rotary blade when I hit an exposed rocky area, but obviously they don’t work so well in tall grass.

I am inclined to buy a brush hog, but don’t have enough experience to feel confident about it. Does anyone have any thoughts on the matter? Anyone with similar experience?

Thanks for your help, Ron

/ A Question About Field Mowers #2  
The drive belts in the mower have burnt up due to you engaging the cutters with the earth too much. Go to Betstco.com and buy the replacement set of belts. You will see they actually recommend every rookie buy the replacement belt set WITH the mower because all rookies ruin a set before they learn to keep the mower raised a bit more.
Please don't ask me how I know all of this. :p

• Good Post
Reactions: bgr
   / A Question About Field Mowers #3  
I would look at a rotary mower/bush hog and set it at the highest setting possible for two reasons. 1 bush mowers have breakaway blades that are only kept out by the shear weight and inertia of the blade itself. Hit something hard it will roll back, might shimmy for the mower for a second and then back in place. The second is most brush mowers have what they call a stump jumper pan on the bottom, It is essentially a skid plate for the spindle shaft so if you hit a rock directly it should ride right over. A finish mower in rocky terrain is either going to be a lot of blade sharpening or spindle replacement IMO.

/ A Question About Field Mowers #4  
Are you running blades or hammers on that flail? I run hammers on my Maschio and have never had this issue in grass and weeds much taller than this. Mine actually grinds what it cuts into mulch.

/ A Question About Field Mowers #5  
I use a rotary mower. I have dirt (mostly) over some boulders. I have walked the field and driven rebar next to the taller ones. I then slipped two foot pieces of white PVC over the rebar. It makes it really easy to steer around the worst of it. Yes, I've mowed over them and it makes a horrible noise. Sometimes I had to unstick the blades when they hit a rock and jammed. I prefer my current solution as when the blades jam the whole thing is out of balance until unjammed.

/ A Question About Field Mowers #6  
I'll cut 12' junk all day with a rotary cutter. I have had an 8' flail and it's fine on things as long as you keep it cut. Two foot grass is tougher than 12' brush and weeds. I'm just about to cut some that's way taller than me on a 50 horse tractor. I'm just sitting here a minute before I connect the bush hog.

/ A Question About Field Mowers #7  
I have a heavy duty Rears flail and have never had a problem like you describe even cutting grass and weeds four feet high. It just shreds everything wet or dry. 9DFE6C5C-BBE3-4F89-9C99-638A678DBD62_1_201_a.jpegMaybe your flail is a light duty mower?

/ A Question About Field Mowers #8  
Hammer flails and set it high for the first pass or just leave it , cut it 6" tall, have the rotor speed up to pto speed and keep it high, maybe even slow down the ground speed.

/ A Question About Field Mowers #9  
i live on very rocky conditions in about 1/3 of my acreage, and try to keep about 20 acres under control of weeds and the like. My first used rotary cutter was set to low the first year and I punched the blades thru the deck top ruining it. I bought a new one the next year and started off higher until I go the lay of the land. I still hit rocks, but the "stump jumper" works better tho I still break a few shear pins every year. I think the rotary cutter is the way to go IMHO. Mine is a 60" wide but on my TN 75 wish I had gone a bit wider.

/ A Question About Field Mowers
Thanks for your replies. I think I have developed a plan, based on cheapest to most expensive. I'll start with the advice from scootr and put some new belts on the mower. If that doesn't solve the problem, I'll put some hammers on it. If that doesn't work, I'll shop around for a rotary mower. I appreciate your help. Ron