Comparison A Question most of us ask when we're looking to buy a tractor,

/ A Question most of us ask when we're looking to buy a tractor, #51  
The classic tractor show is on RFDTV network, its channel 231 if youre on dish. Wally Lyon

/ A Question most of us ask when we're looking to buy a tractor, #52  
We grew up farming with smaller 2WD tractors and no FEL ever and made out but not sure that was good for my health.

When we got the FIL's 1976 265 MF my BIL talked me into get a loader for it. Quickly I learned there were no used FEL options that was not junk and the new stuff was about $6K.

Looking on ebay, CL, etc I found I could buy an old 2WD working backhoe in the price range of a new FEL for a 60 HP tractor and still have the farm tractor light front axle.

I know some would never want the 2nd tractor to keep up and especially it being old when purchased so I am only stating this for a few to consider when asking themselves questions when looking to buy a tractor.

So far nearly 3 years later the $7200 1983 2WD JD 310B Backhoe has been the most handy thing to use of any tractor I have ever owned.

At 6+ ton I have got it stuck 'hard' several times but so far have always worked it out on it own power. The hoe as a wheel barrow is awesome plus it gives you weight to load the FEL completely with materials and still have traction. It will climb a 45 degree bank backwards by using both the hoe and FEL with the stabilizers a great safety plus as is the four point ROPS with a heavy metal top.

Would had 4WD be better? My brother voted YES but it involved the bank. For our 15 acre hobby farm a low cost 2WD FEL option was a requirement. The free 60 HP tractor with a hoe was gravy. :)

I agree the less one's tractor experience with making a living with smaller 2WD tractor the more one should ask about 4WD units.

/ A Question most of us ask when we're looking to buy a tractor, #53  
Here's my question. As someone not mechanically inclined, I am pretty much going to have to buy new or slightly used. My property is 13 acres with a 2 acre pond, sloping downward to the pond. I'll be cutting the field and moving some stuff and taking care of my driveway for the most part. I've got a budget of $17,000 to $20,000. A FEL is not optional; I will have a FEL. My choice appears to be less hp (say, 25-30) with 4wd, or more hp (maybe 40?) with 2wd. What do you think?

/ A Question most of us ask when we're looking to buy a tractor, #54  
chris1967 said:
Here's my question. As someone not mechanically inclined, I am pretty much going to have to buy new or slightly used. My property is 13 acres with a 2 acre pond, sloping downward to the pond. I'll be cutting the field and moving some stuff and taking care of my driveway for the most part. I've got a budget of $17,000 to $20,000. A FEL is not optional; I will have a FEL. My choice appears to be less hp (say, 25-30) with 4wd, or more hp (maybe 40?) with 2wd. What do you think?

4wd is worth much more than the extra HP on a property of that type and size. You can get a very nice tractor with that budget.

/ A Question most of us ask when we're looking to buy a tractor, #55  
So I can get away with something like a Mahindra 2516 4WD Shuttle, 25 hp, with a FEL? That horsepower would be sufficient?

/ A Question most of us ask when we're looking to buy a tractor, #56  
chris1967 said:
So I can get away with something like a Mahindra 2516 4WD Shuttle, 25 hp, with a FEL? That horsepower would be sufficient?

Yes. 25-30 would be fine. Mahindra, Kioti are similar value tractors. Maybe Kubota or JD or NH used for that price too.

/ A Question most of us ask when we're looking to buy a tractor, #57  
   / A Question most of us ask when we're looking to buy a tractor, #58  
   / A Question most of us ask when we're looking to buy a tractor, #59  
As owner of a 24 hp 2 wd that is rather light- I note this isn't enough hp or weight for serious ground-engaging work. My YM240 struggles for traction with a 5 ft disc to turn under weeds, and a bottom plow would simply anchor it to the ground. 4 wd would be an improvement, but in my opinion still wouldn't be sufficient to you for annual discing etc.

The Mahindra sounds like a nice model and would serve you well if a rototiller were the only implement you used for turning the soil.

Something more to consider - since you have slopes, whatever you choose should be low and wide, and of course have a ROPS.

As for me - tractors are simple and durable. Buying used isn't the same as buying a used car that may have little life left in it. With that budget, I would spend a portion on a used tractor, hold a reserve for the sort of minor stuff that you could have also encountered on a new tractor, and apply the rest to implements or some other project. Stick with brands that have a local, long term, stable, dealer who will be there for maintenance and repairs for years into the future.

Last edited:
   / A Question most of us ask when we're looking to buy a tractor, #60  
Weight is a big issue for instance the gray market Yanmars have more power than traction vs US spec tractors that seem to be heavier for the same HP we are using. I have not looked at the Kioti tractors etc in this hp range as far as weight but I can relate to any of the light tractors with more power than weight.

edit: I just looked and that dk45 is almost 700lbs more than mine and thats w/o a loader so it will have probably decent power to traction compared to mine as an example.

My tractor has 42-45 hp but its only 3500 lbs or so with a loader and it will struggle for traction with a 2 bottom plow, hp wise it isn't even breathing hard but wheel spin is the result and less work getting done. fwtw