A RoundUp & Pump Sprayer Question

/ A RoundUp & Pump Sprayer Question #1  

GaryM

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD4100 Hydro
I use RoundUp, the real stuff, in a 2 Gal. pump sprayer to keep my gravel drive clean. I also use it to spray around obstructions such as light posts etc. I mix according to the listed directions.

I often don't use up all that I've mixed, so leave it in the sprayer. Sometimes a half gallon or a little more. Often the next time I go to use it, it won;t spray. I find the screen just before the nozzle clogged with "glop" that's restricting the flow. I have to remove the nozzle and screen to clean it out. It's kind of thick and whitish looking. I can remove it by rinsing and a little scrubbing with a brush.

Anyone else run into this issue? I hate to dump and rinse the sprayer each time I use it, that stuff's not cheap.

Thanks.

/ A RoundUp & Pump Sprayer Question #2  
I have the same issue. I just mix what I can use in a few days and all's well.

/ A RoundUp & Pump Sprayer Question #3  
Gary, I used to have that problem until I started pouring any left over mix I had into a labeled jar to use the next time and then I rinse out my sprayer and run fresh water through the hose and nozzle...Next time I pour the left over in and add water and more concentrate to the mix....I try to use it all but it always doesn't work that way and I don't want to waste it....so I know what you mean.

/ A RoundUp & Pump Sprayer Question #4  
Roundup eats metals, so anything it comes in contact with is going to be affected. You can buy commercial neutralizers, like Nutrisol, but (as Brin says) it is best to empty the tank and flush the lines with water. If you want to keep the leftovers, it is best store it in a separate plastic container, IMHO.

/ A RoundUp & Pump Sprayer Question #5  
I get the feeling you are using the concentrate with no water . Please explain .

/ A RoundUp & Pump Sprayer Question #6  
According to his 1st post he says he "mixes according to the listed directions"

/ A RoundUp & Pump Sprayer Question
I'm using RoundUp Super Concentrate 50.2% Glyphosate, mixing 2.5 Oz. per gallon of water according to the label mixing instructions. The sprayer is an RL Pro Model 996P "Powered by Solo". No known metal parts, looks to be all plastic. I usually mix 2 gallons and spray whenever the weeds start to annoy me. So it may sit in the garage for two weeks or so between uses.

/ A RoundUp & Pump Sprayer Question #8  
When you are finished spraying turn the sprayer upside down and spray the till the mixture is out of the wand. Just like you would do with an aerosol paint can. Just make sure your pump is sealed tight.

I don't have any problem with my backpack sprayer because it never sits more than a week at a time.

The little pump sprayer I use around the house to spot spray with may sit 2-3 weeks. I had the same issue and started turning it upside down and spraying until nothing was coming out. Then turn it back over and let it sit until the next time I need it. No liquid in the hose or nozzle.

Also once you clear the hose and nozzle this way loosen the pump to so there is no air pressure in the tank.

That should take care of the problem:thumbsup:

/ A RoundUp & Pump Sprayer Question #9  
Part of the issue with roundup and it getting all globby like you said is in part because of the way it bonds to certain elements in the water. This is particularly true when using well water. This is the reason that they recommend mixing a small portion of sprayable AMS (Ammonium Sulfate) with round up. Not only does the N help the plant absorb it but it also helps keep the molecules binding with elements such as Ca or Iron in the water.

I've tried saving it and it will stay good for about a 3-4 days for me. Even shaking it up doesn't seem to help it reconsitute. To me I just make smaller batches than worry about trying to re-use and have to unclog a sprayer.

/ A RoundUp & Pump Sprayer Question #10  
Even shaking it up doesn't seem to help it reconsitute. To me I just make smaller batches than worry about trying to re-use and have to unclog a sprayer.[/QUOTE said:
I think this is the REAL solution!!!