A rude awakening

/ A rude awakening #1  

texbaylea

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3130HST w/LA723 loader
During the mild weather we usually sleep with a window open at the head of the bed.

About one a.m. this morning....bark, bark, bark, YOWLLLLLLLLLLLL........bark, bark, bark, YOWLLLLLLL :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

It almost literally bounces me out of bed: it was LOUD. I got to the window and there less than 25 feet from the window was a coyote. There was enough light off the yard lamp to make him out. I was quietly reaching for the big flashlight I keep by the bed but it came aware of me then ZOOM it was gone.

My wife was shaking a bit after that and we both took a while to get back to sleep.

I am going to have a shotgun closer tonight but I doubt it will be back.

Vernon

/ A rude awakening #2  
<deleted text>

I am going to have a shotgun closer tonight but I doubt it will be back.

Vernon

I bet your wife will be not be very impressed by being awakened with a shotgun blast either.. LOL

Brian

/ A rude awakening #3  
LOL... yep... good plan.... are you going to shoot thru the screen... or leave window and screen both open??.

County trapper is on his way to visit us.... neighbor is losing lambs from coyotes and we'll set traps on my place as well.

/ A rude awakening #4  
My coyote problem was solved using a .270 rifle. In a broadside shot, I hit the front shoulder leaving a small entry wound. Upon rolling the carcass over, the other front leg was completely blown off. It left a .270" hole in the window screen. Easy fix.

/ A rude awakening #5  
Welcome to living close to nature. ;)

A lone coyote outside the house is really no big deal. As you found out, it really didn't want any part of you. We occasionally get woken up by a pack carrying on our neighbor's property. You get used to it.

/ A rude awakening #6  
it sure is nice to have them around to clean up dead carcass's etc: i lost a donkey this last summer, and with out the clean up the coyotes did, i would have had to hire a backhoe to bury her.
heehaw

/ A rude awakening #7  
My wife was shaking a bit after that and we both took a while to get back to sleep.

Vernon, you didn't say anything about your dog. Did your dog sleep through the whole thing? Coyotes in a chase or on a kill are the most hellish sound I've ever heard.

/ A rude awakening
Vernon, you didn't say anything about your dog. Did your dog sleep through the whole thing? Coyotes in a chase or on a kill are the most hellish sound I've ever heard.

Jim
Our Boxer started having seizures, a suspected brain tumor, so when they got too bad we had to have her euthanized. That was about 6 mos ago and we have started thinking about getting a new Boxer. We are looking for one about 18 mos old with show training and experience. They are generally well socialized and settled in their behavior by then. We do not want to go through puppyhood, thats a lot of work.

Vernon

/ A rude awakening #9  
It is amazing how well a bright flashlight works. We get them in the field below us 200-300 yards away. As soon as I scan the field with my high power flashlight they seem to shut up and go away. Well it works for me anyways. I barely have to think about it anymore. Like the others mentioned my wife and kids wouldn't appreciate the gunfire in the middle of the night. ;)

/ A rude awakening #10  
Our first summer out here, we would be awakened most nights by packs of coyote hunting and making kills. At times, it was enough to have you spooked about walking outside, even in the day. For some reason though, the second summer only had it happen once or twice. I don't know what changed?

Thanks for sharing. It's one of those parts of country living that we all have in common. To me, it adds to the atmosphere in a positive way. I feel more independent somehow. Most folks don't know what its like to patrol their property in underwear with only a shotgun!

Last edited: