A sad day on the farm

/ A sad day on the farm
You've been burned out once and don't want to go down that road again?
I heard that, been there done that and it didn't turn out very well. I want to put something up for at leaste 10 ft. Medal will probably be a real bear to deal when installing receptacles and switches on the walls. I had an electrician come by yesterday to give me a ball park idea on what it's going to cost to wire my building and as we were walking around the shop looking at where everything is going to go I could see the dollar signs flashing in his eyes. After we went through everything he told me to be figuring on somewhere between $25 and $30,000.00. I was thinking somewhere around $20,000.00, Dang that was a shocker. It probably wouldn't be that bad if it wasn't for all the 50/60 amp circuits I need, the price of that wire alone is going to cost around $6,000.00 maybe more.
He's putting together a better estimate sometime today and hopefully it won't be more than what he tole me yesterday. The problem is you can't get anyone to do anything done anymore. The ones that are willing to work are so booked up it takes a month or more to even get an estimate.

/ A sad day on the farm #172  
You could run conduit on the outside of the metal panels to avoid putting holes in them. I do not know what electrical code is for running wires inside metal framed walls but you might be required to use conduit anyhow to meet code.

/ A sad day on the farm #173  
I heard that, been there done that and it didn't turn out very well. I want to put something up for at leaste 10 ft. Medal will probably be a real bear to deal when installing receptacles and switches on the walls. I had an electrician come by yesterday to give me a ball park idea on what it's going to cost to wire my building and as we were walking around the shop looking at where everything is going to go I could see the dollar signs flashing in his eyes. After we went through everything he told me to be figuring on somewhere between $25 and $30,000.00. I was thinking somewhere around $20,000.00, Dang that was a shocker. It probably wouldn't be that bad if it wasn't for all the 50/60 amp circuits I need, the price of that wire alone is going to cost around $6,000.00 maybe more.
He's putting together a better estimate sometime today and hopefully it won't be more than what he tole me yesterday. The problem is you can't get anyone to do anything done anymore. The ones that are willing to work are so booked up it takes a month or more to even get an estimate.
The cheap, fast & easy way to do that is to screw on the metal panels first and then screw on junction boxes for the outlets and switches and then connect everything with conduit. The conduit and junction boxes will be exposed but if it is done neatly, it can be a work of art to be proud of.

Trying to place the outlets and switches before putting on the panels is a headache. The ribs in the panels are usually in the wrong spot and/or wrong depth.

EDIT ; ericm beat me to the post icon.

/ A sad day on the farm #174  
You need to get other bids before you give him the go ahead.
Go to an electric supply store and ask who they would recommend if you don't know any other sparky runners.

My last shop was 36 x 72 and we had 25 outlets and 220 and it was only $5500.and it was all in conduit.

/ A sad day on the farm #175  
I am just seeing this and so sorry. My parents lost their house before I was born, and my mom especially often talked about it.

Your comment about your insurance, hope it worked better than you felt it would. If you are having issues, there don't just accept it. At least contract your State Dept of Insurance. You will need copy of your insurance policy.

Some companies will not pay for your loss until you replace it. Or at least not for the replacement cost. The agent, if honest can be a real help in all this. Some companies really don't want the agent involved. But they should be willing to go over your contract in full description if not then if must talk with lawyer. Or, find an honest agent who sells the same plan. I was the agent who supplied the info to a couple who lost their house, and the adjuster was telling them this and that and not the truth. If your contract pays replace cost, it pays to replace it.

/ A sad day on the farm #176  
I have OSB on the inside of my shop. You can paint it sort of just to make it white and brighter. It’s also strong enough you can hang stuff off of it that’s not real heavy. The bad is it’s not as fire resistant as metal. I’m not sure if I posted in this thread earlier or not but I bought a bench grinder stand. Before it was mounted to a wall and throwing sparks against the OSB. Your post made me get the stand so I can drag it out away from the wall in the middle of the concrete floor for safety’s sake.

/ A sad day on the farm #177  
I keep my grinder by the barn door, and throw the sparks outside.

/ A sad day on the farm #178  
A length of 24" wide aluminum flashing can help keep the sparks away from the wood.

/ A sad day on the farm
You need to get other bids before you give him the go ahead.
Go to an electric supply store and ask who they would recommend if you don't know any other sparky runners.

My last shop was 36 x 72 and we had 25 outlets and 220 and it was only $5500.and it was all in conduit.
Yeah but how long ago was that? I wired my other building myself and I had over $10,000.00 in it and that was 15 years ago. I need 4, 50 amp circuits and one 60 amp circuit and the runs are going to be roughly 34' to almost 60'. The wire alone is going to cost a bunch, have you priced wire lately? Also I have called at leaste 6 different companies before I found this guy. Come to find out he is a friend of my oldest son and I believe he will do me right.

/ A sad day on the farm
A length of 24" wide aluminum flashing can help keep the sparks away from the wood.
I had a 316 ss border as a base board in every room in the building. Also I had medal panels 14' high on all of the walls where I welded and at my plasma table. The walls that were exposed had 2 coats of fire retardant paint. I don't know what else I could do accept maybe find a new hobby like maybe crocheting or needle point.:)