A Sylvan Curiousity

/ A Sylvan Curiousity #1  

smstonypoint

Tractor
NH TN 55, Kubota B2320 & RTV 900, Bad Boy Outlaw ZTR
I have seen trees "ingest" barbed wire and spikes, but this is a new one for me -- a black cherry "ingesting" the limb of an Eastern red cedar. For scale, the cedar limb is about 1" in diameter and is about 7' off the ground.

cedar limb.JPG

Has anyone seen anything similar?

Steve

/ A Sylvan Curiousity #2  
Very common.
We have trees wrap around vines climbing thee trees all the time.
I spend time each spring, walking the 30 acres of trees, cutting vines,,,
If cut, the vines will drop, before this happens.

/ A Sylvan Curiousity #3  
One of my LARGE ponderosa pines "ingested" a four foot tall chunk of iron. As best I can figure, this vertical chunk of iron was used to attach a gate to the tree - an awful long time ago. I found it with my chainsaw when I fell the tree. It was totally enclosed within the tree and there was no outward signs of it. Surprise, surprise!!

/ A Sylvan Curiousity #4  
Around here, it seems that cherry is really really good at "ingesting" things, wire fence, other tree limbs, vines and horseshoes. I've just about ruined two chains cutting up cherry and hitting horseshoes. Guess someone just hung them over a limb years ago and they disappeared inside the tree.

/ A Sylvan Curiousity #5  
One of my LARGE ponderosa pines "ingested" a four foot tall chunk of iron. As best I can figure, this vertical chunk of iron was used to attach a gate to the tree - an awful long time ago. I found it with my chainsaw when I fell the tree. It was totally enclosed within the tree and there was no outward signs of it. Surprise, surprise!!

I cut down a big mapel once, about 30" diameter at the butt. Undercut, back cut, almost ready to fall when the saw quit cutting. Teeth all buggered on one side. Sorta 'burned' the rest of the cut to get it on the ground. Inspection showed a 16 penny nail dthat had to have been put there when it wasn't much more that a sapling. Shaved one side the full length with the saw.

About 10 years ago, cut down a dead locusst in a fence row. Obvious wire scars so I moved about 6" above the top one for the cut...rant into a metal jacketed bullet.

/ A Sylvan Curiousity #6  
"Ingestions" like that make for some very eerie noises when the wind blows and the two partners move in different directions!

/ A Sylvan Curiousity #7  
This yellow pine was collateral damage when I was taking out some larger white pines...I found this "no end limb" it was a bout 60' off the ground...I'm thinking about making a (very) rustic towel bar for a cabin I'm rehabbing...i.e., cut the middle section out and just leave a some molded pillow plates...am open to suggestions...have a sawmill on hand...

MVC-001F.JPG
MVC-002F.JPG

/ A Sylvan Curiousity #8  
Where I lived in my teens we had a facet that was attached to a maple.
Over time the pipe became fully 'ingested' with only the facet showing.

My dad liked telling folks that he 'tapped' the maple to make syrup. (we did but not that tap)

I last year visited with the new owners who for nostalgia's sake installed a new tap as the old one had simply been totally ingested.
That maple today is darn close to 20" in diameter.

/ A Sylvan Curiousity #9  
I have a lot of those cherry trees on my property. They have some very crooked branches, and frequently grow into other trees.

/ A Sylvan Curiousity #10  
I have seen trees "ingest" barbed wire and spikes, but this is a new one for me -- a black cherry "ingesting" the limb of an Eastern red cedar. For scale, the cedar limb is about 1" in diameter and is about 7' off the ground.

Has anyone seen anything similar?

Steve

As you mention, I've seen plenty of metal eaten by trees, but not another tree like that. I have seen them eat their own branches before, but not another tree. Interesting. :thumbsup: