A timber frame cabin memoir

/ A timber frame cabin memoir #1  

caver

Veteran Member
Tractor
Fisher Price, toddlers first tractor.
I'm in the queue for a timber frame kit so I figured I would start a thread. It will be 20x30 with a walk out basement and loft with 4' extensions.
They suggested a 10' foundation height. When I expressed concerns about how high this would stick up they recommended putting the sub-floor down inside the basement. No need for a center beam and within distances for I-beam joists. See drawing
We have the plans at 90% and will probably have them finalized next week. There are no codes or rules in that area. So, no engineering stamp etc. I plan to do as much as I can but some areas I prefer to have a competent contractor do the job. I may withhold information or be vague on some details.
image001.jpg

/ A timber frame cabin memoir #2  
Nice! Looking forward to watching your progress.

/ A timber frame cabin memoir #3  
I'm thinking about building something the same size here, but probably from lumber cut and sawn here. It will only have a standard 8 foot foundation though... or less if I hit ledge the way that I fear I will.

/ A timber frame cabin memoir #4  
I'm thinking about building something the same size here, but probably from lumber cut and sawn here. It will only have a standard 8 foot foundation though... or less if I hit ledge the way that I fear I will.

Having a sawmill offers lots of options doesn't it? My wife wanted me to get one but I talker her out of for some odd reason. Lol

/ A timber frame cabin memoir
I have a sawmill but they are labor intensive. I won't be using sips either. It might be Oct Nov before my kit is shipped so will probably be questions from me about certain things I'm rusty on. My first interest in Timber frames was from a post a member made here years ago. His was with a Kansas company.

/ A timber frame cabin memoir #6  
A ten foot basement, ok 8'9", sounds great!

The short bolts on the sills in the drawing make me wonder what the tornado specifications are for your area. (Having lived places with tornados, wind, and earthquakes, I prefer to go a little on the cautious side during construction as the marginal cost is usually close to zero in the big picture.)

How is the drainage on your site?

Looking forward to the progress!

All the best,

Peter

Similar to my drawing but that was a drawing my project coordinator sent me when discussing the first floor. The sill plates are just supports for the walls. The timbers are what carry the loads and those connections are metal plates and pretty beefy looking.

/ A timber frame cabin memoir #8  
Similar to my drawing but that was a drawing my project coordinator sent me when discussing the first floor. The sill plates are just supports for the walls. The timbers are what carry the loads and those connections are metal plates and pretty beefy looking.
Yes, I get the strength and weight of log homes. I was thinking more about what happens when the wind (tornado) lifts things like a roof and walls upward...

Unrelated question: what is the predicted R value for your walls and roof?

All the best,

Peter

I think it's 38 for the roof and walls will be spray.

My first basement contractor never returned my call or email. 5 days later he called me back. Turns out he had sold his business earlier that day. But, he was very helpful and recommended a former employee who went out on his own. I still don't know who bought his business because i thought the former co-worker bought his business. I misunderstood him when I called they guy he recommended. Reading between the lines I could tell he wasn't crazy when I said a 10' wall. He's busy with a project well over an hour away and said he could give no commitment until possibly early winter. he said call back in 3-4 weeks. I took that as a I don't want to run customers off but not crazy about the job right now. There are not many options in the rural area but I have another contractor I will call. I have also talked to my project manager about possibly doing an 8' wall with the I-joists on top of the wall like more traditional framing. Not a big deal and doesn't weird the contractors out as easy. When my dad had his forms they were a type of aluminum. All panels cast as 2'x2'. Dad had maybe 3/4 of his forms set up for 8' and the rest in 4' I imagine most guys have something like a Symons form. I do save money with an 8' wall and if done right would have enough room under the slab for a 2" insulated panel.