A wood cutting/gathering question

/ A wood cutting/gathering question #1  

Budweiser John

Platinum Member
Tractor
New Holland TC45D
Asking the opinions of seasoned firewood cutters.
Do any of you use a 'pickeroon', sometimes called a 'hookeroon' for gathering wood rounds in the process of stacking or moving firewood?
I'm not exactly a spring chicken anymore, so bending over and picking firewood off the ground is getting a bit laborus these days. While not hugely expensive, these tools are not all that common so my question is simply are they worth having in the wood cutting aresonal?

B. John

/ A wood cutting/gathering question #2  
Well, John - I quit cutting & burning firewood about 25 years ago. I did cut/burn for ten years prior to that. Never used pickeroon or a pee-vee. So from the age of around 40 to around 50 I burned firewood.

I'm 75 now and while the mind says - "boy, it would be fun to cut/burn firewood" - - the 'ol bod reminds me how long I would be in recuperation after a day of cutting/splitting.

I have Ponderosa pine here. It gets up to 38" on the butt and the trees can be 105' tall. After felling & limbing - I would cut the tree to firewood length right where it fell. Never tried moving a piece longer than 16". I'd move the splitter and the trailer to where the fallen tree was.

/ A wood cutting/gathering question #3  
It does not take a whole lot of experience to realize the key to dealing with firewood is limit and control the handling...i.e., the fewer times handled the better...

I try to move the splits from the splitter directly to a truck bed, trailer or wood hopper/pallet etc...then right to a customer or the wood shed...

/ A wood cutting/gathering question
Yes, agreed. I use wood bags and split, toss (into bag) and done. When the bag is full it is just about a face cord. The bag is then placed on a pallet and moved with pallet forks to the shed for curing.
The wood handling bottleneck is picking up the odd rounds after cutting and B/4 splitting. Stuff between 6" and 18" in diameter and 16" long.

B. John

/ A wood cutting/gathering question #5  
Get one, you'll wonder why you didn't have one years ago!

/ A wood cutting/gathering question #6  
I've used several. An antique, homemade one, a modern wood handled one, and a 30" steel one labeled Stihl, but made by a company called Logrite. The Logrite is worth the money, no question about it. The tip design is the best of the ones I've used, and it's replaceable. Also, the handle is more durable than wood, feels great in the hand, is easier to spot against the forest floor, and, it's lighter weight than the wood ones. I use it all the time, mostly for moving/maneuvering logs and partial logs for cutting, and loading rounds onto the splitter beam. I wouldn't be without mine. It makes picking it way too maintain a straight back and safer/easier lifting position when moving wood. It's always on the scene when I'm cutting or splitting.

Just don't hit yourself in the leg or foot with the tip.

/ A wood cutting/gathering question #7  
I use it all the time, mostly for moving/maneuvering logs and partial logs for cutting, and loading rounds onto the splitter beam. I wouldn't be without mine.

Oh, and we both forgot to mention snowy, icy wood or even just wet, your hands will thank you.

/ A wood cutting/gathering question #8  
Asking the opinions of seasoned firewood cutters.
Do any of you use a 'pickeroon', sometimes called a 'hookeroon' for gathering wood rounds in the process of stacking or moving firewood?
I'm not exactly a spring chicken anymore, so bending over and picking firewood off the ground is getting a bit laborus these days. While not hugely expensive, these tools are not all that common so my question is simply are they worth having in the wood cutting aresonal?

B. John
I think you would be better served with a set of 'tie tongs'. IF you can find any. Talk to the local railroad maintenance of way guys.

/ A wood cutting/gathering question #9  
Get one, you won't believe how useful they are. The leverage you gain using one will surprise you, I have four at varying lengths and have used them for 20 years, wouldn't know what to do without them.