Abandoned newborn

/ Abandoned newborn #1  

johnk

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota GST Grand L3130 w/ 723 loader, Ags
I was cutting the grass at my cabin an about 30 feet down a slope Lo and Behold I spotted some dots.. It was there for a whole day and mom didn't come back as of this morning. Hopefully she'll be back and I didn't approach and let Nature take its course.Melted my heart though.

Attachments

• deer8x10.jpg
    deer8x10.jpg
    540.5 KB · Views: 613
  • DSC_3650.jpg
    DSC_3650.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 523
   / Abandoned newborn #2  
If it's still in the same place after several days and you haven't seen mom you might check if there is a wildlife rescue center near by. You might check the nearby roads to see if mom got hit by a car or something. Check with the neighbors if they've seen a doe down. Nature taking it's course is one thing but I hate to see something suffer needlessly.

/ Abandoned newborn #3  
not uncommon for it to be left for part of the day but I'm surprised overnight it's still there. maybe she came back to feed and left it there cause it's safe.

A guy told me he found one right in his driveway still wet from birth, the mother didn't come back for hours.

JB.

/ Abandoned newborn #4  
Cool, Found this one in our front yard last Spring. The mother came back for it a couple hours later.
Fawn.jpg

/ Abandoned newborn #5  
young fawns are born without any smell and leaving them there alone is the mother's way of keeping it safe until it's old enough to run away from danger. Many a dogooder has assumed that they are abandoned and then caused more harm than good. Check in a week and it will likely be gone.

/ Abandoned newborn #6  
young fawns are born without any smell and leaving them there alone is the mother's way of keeping it safe until it's old enough to run away from danger. Many a dogooder has assumed that they are abandoned and then caused more harm than good. Check in a week and it will likely be gone.

A good bit of information. I would still keep an eye on it, maybe with binoculars. While you are watching it, mom might be watching you?
Looks like a project for a game camera with live feed to a computer?

/ Abandoned newborn #7  
I've had does park their fawns at the edges of our yard area in tall grass several times, we are surrounded by miles of dense woods. My reasoning is that area is probably least likely to have coyotes or a black bear come so close to the house.

The deer hang around close to the house during deer season too even though our fenced dog barks his head off when he scents them. There is some instinct or whatever at work.
Dave.

/ Abandoned newborn

I'll be back up there this weekend and hopefully it's gone with out any harm. Looked quite healthy when I left it and it had good cover thats why I didn't approach it and figured it would be better off not scaring it out of its hiding place.

/ Abandoned newborn #9  

Yes-YES.. This is the correct thing to do. No smell is thier ONLY means of defense. The doe will stay a distance away to protect the little one by keeping her own smell away. Mother nature is in control and NO help from us is needed... It hurts more than helps...

AndyG

/ Abandoned newborn #10  
Just because it was still there doesn't mean the mother didn't come by to feed it. I had one this weekend in the same spot for two days before it moved about 15 yards away. It just so happened it was right where I wanted to set up some electric fence for the cows to graze the high grass down. I finally moved the cows somewhere else and I'll just wait a week or so. Once the fawns get a little older they'll move around more often.