About painting a steel sided building

/ About painting a steel sided building #31  
Rustoleum should adhere great. I would be worried about fading, maybe it would be not noticeable in white? I've read where people doctor the paint up for spraying. Anyone done that on a larger project?

/ About painting a steel sided building
My 54 x 72 Morton pole barn was put up in the 60's and is white, with faded green trim/accents. The green is faded pretty bad and the prior owner let trees grow up and rub the paint off down to the galvanized layer only in spots (I've sprayed touch-up with flat Rustoleum on those spots) but I'm not touching it further.

I did have the roof painted a few years ago. They used a silver Sherman Williams asphalt type paint, sprayed on. Looks great.

IMHO, If the color is the only issue, I'd live with the beige sides instead of spending a ton of money and having to repaint every few (10 if you're lucky?) years.

Thanks. Good insights. I like the asphalt roof paint tip. I imagine that seals all the screws too?

/ About painting a steel sided building #34  
Thanks. Good insights. I like the asphalt roof paint tip. I imagine that seals all the screws too?
The painter said the process should seal things. It's always been pretty dry anyway. I had Morton replace the 8 old skylights last year. Wow, what a difference. They were old, brittle, that old green color and pretty dang dark. While they were up there, they secured any nails (I did say this was put up in the 60's, didn't I?). They added screws where needed, and sealed any holes.

/ About painting a steel sided building #35  
Get an Industrial Paint supplier to advise you. If it is steel and is rusting, a Zinc Rich Primer and epoxy topcoat would outlast You. Try Carboline Co. A "Brush Off" sandblast spec is recommended. Professional application required. Very expensive. A small rattle can of John Deere green was priced at $20 Cdn this week!

/ About painting a steel sided building #36  
I have a 40x60' barn built 60+ years ago. The barn walls were white oak covered with white aluminum which is dented but holding up. The roof is made of corrugated old fashioned steel. 13 years ago the owner pained it light greenish. It started to rust in many patches and got very faded.

Five years ago I pulled all the loose nails and put screws where appropriate. Then I pressure washed the whole thing and washed with a deck wash of some sort. I used Osphro on all the rust spots I could find. Then I spray painted with Rusteoleum Forrest Green paint. It was quick spraying and easy to apply. Over the last 5 years is started to fade but the rust and chipping was held at bay. Roof edging metal that was formed and of the same color and bought new faded a lot less than what I painted. I think it could use a new paint job in a few years, even though I thought the paint was of a good quality.

/ About painting a steel sided building #37  
It sounds to me that your panel is steel that has been powder coated, which is basically impervious to fading and chipping. If it were mine, I would pressure wash it and leave it be. How powder coat is designed is that it should not need to be painted, ever. The process for over painting is most likely to be very specific, with a very specific type of prime and paint. Powder coat is supposed to stand up to the rigors of being exposed to weather. I would leave it alone.

It sounds to me that your panel is steel that has been powder coated, which is basically impervious to fading and chipping. If it were mine, I would pressure wash it and leave it be. How powder coat is designed is that it should not need to be painted, ever. The process for over painting is most likely to be very specific, with a very specific type of prime and paint. Powder coat is supposed to stand up to the rigors of being exposed to weather. I would leave it alone.
Yes, although chalky after 35 years, my only problem with it is that the color is hideously ugly and diminishes the aesthetics and therefore the value of the entire property. I’m not sold on painting it yet. I’m just weighing my choices on how to make it look better.

/ About painting a steel sided building #39  
Is there room for some kind of vegetation, screen or privacy wall to hide it?