Actual cost of firewood

/ Actual cost of firewood #191  

2ndhalf

Veteran Member
Tractor
Gravely ZT HD 60, MF GC2400
I try to burn my poorer wood in the shoulder months where I don’t need as much heat. I toss it to the side during the fall and winter and then burn it in late winter and spring.

This is a good idea!

/ Actual cost of firewood #192  

goeduck

Tractor
Kubota, Massey, Iseki
Are you burning mostly Fir?

Fir, Maple and this year a fair amount of Hawthorne from fencerows. A little Alder as well. All of those are about the same, my poorer wood comes from wood that has aged too much or was just semi punk wood that ended up in the woodpile. Next year it will be almost all fir. Just depends what trees I cut 2 years ago.

/ Actual cost of firewood #193  

ultrarunner

Super Star Member
SF Bay Area-Ca Olympia WA Salzburg Austria
Tractor
Cat D3, Deere 110 TLB, Kubota BX23 and L3800 and RTV900 with restored 1948 Deere M, 1949 Farmall Cub, 1953 Ford Jubliee and 1957 Ford 740 Row Crop, Craftsman Mower, Deere 350C Dozer 50 assorted vehicles from 1905 to 2006
I'm mostly Fir with some Alder and Cedar...

Probably 95% Fir as had some large storm fall trees in WA

In Oakland CA you can probably guess it is all Oak.

/ Actual cost of firewood #194  

quicksandfarmer

Veteran Member
Tractor
Jinma 354, purchased 2007
Well my neighbor just had a 'chimney fire'. He said that the wood was real dry but I know that it was all 'crap wood', like spruce or balsom.
Well he had so much creosote build up that the flue ignited and as a result the rafters caught fire and the damage is so extensive that I believe his house might be a total loss. All his exposed rafters are charred, the metal roofing was ripped up by the firefighters and the insulation totally soaked. Even the fireman's water ran down the walls and the siding is water bulged.
Naturally he never had the flue swept either.
The downside is as luck would have it the firefighters only took 20 mins to respond thus the building is still standing along with their carnage, (they love to chop and hack, don't they)
With winter totally set in and the fact that first thing they did was cut the hydro power his entire water system is now totally shot from plumbing to water tank and pumping system.
My comments to him was that hopefully the insurance would be able to declare it a total loss.
Sad as they really did a nice job to update a questionable DIY cottage.
(I know that cottage well as the previous owner asked me to do some additions which I refused to do as I honestly believed he would have thrown good $$ after a bad situation. (I could go on))

Moral is if you burn wood, know what you are doing. Sweep often or burn hot* but get rid of that creosote as it can cost you your house.

*occasional 'hot' can actually burn off creosote under controlled conditions. (been there done that LOL)

If the insurance company pays for it all then it doesn't increase the actual cost of the firewood at all...

/ Actual cost of firewood #195  

4570Man

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M59, Kubota L3800, Grasshopper 428D, Topkick dump truck, 3500 dump truck, 10 ton trailer, more lighter trailers.
Gas furnaces have malfunctioned and poisoned people with carbon monoxide. Throwing in malfunctioning equipment usually caused by operator error isn’t a fair assessment.