Actual lift capacity mx 5400

/ Actual lift capacity mx 5400 #11  
Look at the load lift charts for your FEL. They will give a much more accurate answer to - how much can I lift, how high can I lift that load.

My case. I have a Land Pride 1560 grapple and WR Long 3rd function valve. The grapple is VERY HD and weighs 820#. I've had this setup for eight years now. I have not, yet, found a reason to lift anything high. I lift and move large rocks and chunks of pine tree trunk. I can lift and move either, up to and including 3000 pounds.

I lift just high enough so the grapple does not leave drag marks. It's called "knuckle dragging". If I needed to lift high - my allowed load would drop rapidly.
IMG_0011.jpeg

/ Actual lift capacity mx 5400 #12  
By the way. Since you will be getting a grapple - consider doing something like I've done to your grill guard. Sticks, stobs & limbs have a very nasty habit of finding your grill, radiator or battery.
IMG_0016.jpeg

/ Actual lift capacity mx 5400
Oosik, Love the grill guard! Did you fabricate that or purchase it that way? Thanks for the reply and the pictures.
Mark

/ Actual lift capacity mx 5400 #15  

Attachments

• xxc.jpg
    xxc.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 421

Attachments

• tires2.jpg
    tires2.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 671
Grapples are sure handy...

/ Actual lift capacity mx 5400 #16  
I use a 66" Wildkat grapple made also by Mid-State. (on an 81 HP MF 2660.) I find it VERY sturdy and durable. Couple of companies right there in the same area of the Carolinas & look like they copy each other's products. If you have any need for limbs and logs and brush and debris removal it will stay on your tractor most of the time. As other guys said above pallet forks are NOT comparable to a grapple at all. Like any tool it depends on what you will mostly be doing with it. On your size MX5400 I suggest a 54 or at most 60" width and there's no reason for it to weigh more than 500lbs. Many buy too wide a grapple and find it is cumbersome to maneuver and yet really doesn't pick up much more than a narrower one. Yes, the filled tires help keep the rear end down. And a weight on the 3pt hitch (like a bush hog) makes a great counter balance for me. I assume your MX5400 will be equipped with a skid-steer compatible quick attach (which is good and means your have a large number of choices for your grapple.) But one caution: the lower teeth on these grapples tend to be pointed downward too much and your loader will not do enough curl to point the teeth up as much as I would like. I would shop in person and see what your are getting -- both as to how the teeth are made for angle and the apparent strength of construction. You will easily see flimsy construction and be pleased to see how strong most of them are. One last comment: I prefer the single top units rather than the twin top clam shells but preferences differ on that.

/ Actual lift capacity mx 5400 #18  
My grapple is far and away my favorite and most used tool on my MX5400. I considered both the 400 and 900 lb land pride grapples, definitely don't go 900lbs. 400 is just right, and tough enough for anything you'll reasonably need to do. For me it's lots and lots of fallen tree cleanups, and picking up and moving largish rocks.

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / Actual lift capacity mx 5400 #19  
Oosik, Love the grill guard! Did you fabricate that or purchase it that way? Thanks for the reply and the pictures.
Mark
I took the bare grill guard to the local welding shop. A very bright, young fellow worked up that design.

He wanted to paint the two upper quadrants white with big eye balls. The center that sticks out - red - like a tongue.

I'm an old stick-in-the-mud. Told him - all black was just fine.

/ Actual lift capacity mx 5400 #20  
So it sounds like you really don't need an exact answer to "how much will it lift".

You are just wanting a guide to select a grapple.

I have a tomahawk brand 66" single lid. I think they are 415# and I'd consider it about a perfect match for the MX.

Loading tires is fine....but not enough. And even loaded tired with 600# ballast on the 3ph is still not enough it keep the back tires on the ground.

Meaning in the real world.....your loader is plenty strong enough to lift loaded wheels and 600# on the opposite end of the machine.

Now if you actually have sufficient ballast out back of 1200-1500# in the real world and lifting to trailer height or cutting height, 2500-3000# is about what these machines can do.
Loaded tires on a MX weigh about 1000#. And an implement weighs an average of 600#. Are you saying that this is still not sufficient for ballast to lift at max capacity?