Add-ons to a JD 4720???

/ Add-ons to a JD 4720??? #1  

jgrreed

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 4720
Hi Guys,

Great site. Thanks for all the insight so far. I'm looking at a 2005 JD 4720 that's in great shape. My only concern with it is that it doesn't have some of the features I want - ie. cruise/motionmatch/speedmatch, diverter switch, top & tilt, etc.

Can someone tell me if one can have these things added on a used machine??? Also, it has a 400x on it. Do any of you think that there's a huge difference between the 400x and 400cx loader?? The heaviest load I'd lift would likely be 1200-1400lb round bales on a spike.

Thanks for your help.

-Jeremy. :)

/ Add-ons to a JD 4720??? #2  
Everything you want can be added on, no problem. But there will be a large cost associated with them. The cruise/motion match/speed match shouldn't cost you much. The Diverter valve and TnT on the other hand... that one is gonna hurt. If I were you, I'd put in a call to the local JD dealer and talk to the service manager to get a quote on the purchase and install. For my 3120, the diverter was a $1200 part and they wanted 8 hours labor on top of that. The TnT kit was around $868 or so. You can install that yourself, I presume but you'll want to see how much they want for labor on that too. The total might be more than you expect. You may want to price a new one with the add-ons already installed as opposed to the used one with the quote for the add-ons added after the fact.

As for the loader issue, the 400x has plenty of lift capacity and will handle the weight you mentioned without a problem. The 400cx has 25-30% higher lift capacity and features stronger high tensile strength construction for greater durability. The 400cx also features self leveling which is NICE. I have no knowledge of the availability of bale spikes for these loaders.

/ Add-ons to a JD 4720??? #3  
You should get an answer without asking the same question three times. It would be cheaper to add a Fasse or WR Long diverter and top and tilt from CCM. I don't know on the loader. JC

/ Add-ons to a JD 4720??? #4  
jgrreed said:
Hi Guys,

Great site. Thanks for all the insight so far. I'm looking at a 2005 JD 4720 that's in great shape. My only concern with it is that it doesn't have some of the features I want - ie. cruise/motionmatch/speedmatch, diverter switch, top & tilt, etc.

Can someone tell me if one can have these things added on a used machine??? Also, it has a 400x on it. Do any of you think that there's a huge difference between the 400x and 400cx loader?? The heaviest load I'd lift would likely be 1200-1400lb round bales on a spike.

Thanks for your help.

-Jeremy. :)

Cruise is like $75 - easy to install.

The top n tilt, divert - look around for some add ons there. There are a lot of options. I would have bought the 400CX instead of the 400X, but they didn't make it then.

What are you going to be doing with the 4720?

What is the asking price?

How many hours?

What options does it have?

D.

/ Add-ons to a JD 4720???
Hi,

Thanks for the info.

I've actually bought it. It's an '05 with 350hrs on it (365 now!!). It came with the 400x, cruise, loadmatch. I got it for 25K CDN. I was going to go to the US, but I found this one just down the road, so I grabbed it.

I'm looking to get a rear mower (likely a frontier finishing), and a grapple.

Does anyone know if a frontier manure grapple will handle rounds?? (up to 1800lbs)????

Thanks,

-J.

/ Add-ons to a JD 4720??? #6  
jgrreed said:
Hi,

Thanks for the info.

I've actually bought it. It's an '05 with 350hrs on it (365 now!!). It came with the 400x, cruise, loadmatch. I got it for 25K CDN. I was going to go to the US, but I found this one just down the road, so I grabbed it.

I'm looking to get a rear mower (likely a frontier finishing), and a grapple.

Does anyone know if a frontier manure grapple will handle rounds?? (up to 1800lbs)????

Thanks,

-J.

Do you have a part number, I did not see one on the Frontier page.

D.

Was looking at the 1872e. I finally got through to someone at a dealership that could answer my question confidently, and he said no way in ****........ I suppose that without having the grapple open at least as wide as the diameter of the bale (the 1872e will open 37") it would likely tear at the bale rather than 'hug' it.

Oh well, a spear it is!! I just won't have as much fun moving other stuff around without getting out of my seat to put in in the bucket....

-J.

/ Add-ons to a JD 4720??? #8  
Some of the larger tractors use a grapple to move the bales. Are you worried about tearing the bales up.

The bale spear on the FEL is really nice. You might consider one for the 3 PT also. If you move multiple bales at a time - hard to beat. I have a King Kutter I think for the rear of my tractor from TSC, but I noticed Frontier makes one now.

Make sure you have enough ballast on the rear when you are picking bales up with the 4720 - it might end up on the nose if you don't.

I move 1200# bales front and rear on my 4720 all the time.

D.

/ Add-ons to a JD 4720??? #9  
With the forks instead of the regular bucket feel much more comfortable moving bales with a full rock box on the back (large squares and rounds). Have never been a big fan of spears esp on a bucket. The cab is very nice if it is a consideration for you. Got mine new last fall with bucket, forks, rock box (comes with the bucket) for $35000. Have noticed there is a lack of 'things' to put on the tractor per John deere but for my use it is more than perfect for my usage.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the info. I would go with a rear spear too, but if I ever have to pull that first bale off my gooseneck without rear ballast it could be trouble.....

-J.