Oil & Fuel Add or not add oil additive to Kubota

/ Add or not add oil additive to Kubota #11  
Gary... First off, I hate fuel and oil threads because they go on for pages and pages without an concrete basis. Having said that and not wanting to start 'another fuel additive thread' (believe me, I don't), It all depends on the injection method if you need a lubricity additive or not. If the pump is old style with micro honed surfaces (like mine are), an additive is a good thing. I happen to like the Caterpillar additive simply because the pump design on the mechanical Cats and my Kubota pump is very similar and it also bodes well for injector pintles.

Does it increase overall life of the components, thats a crap shoot but my Barnyard Buick has a 3406 Mechanical Cat and Cat advises using it, so it winds up in my bulk tank and every diesel I have gets fed from that tank.

My Eagle conventional has well over 600,000 miles on it and I've never had a pump or injector issue and a bottle of Caterpillar additive isn't cheap (34 bucks a pint) but thats cheap compared to a set of injectors, cups and a pump rebuild. I'll keep using it.

No snake oil in any crankcase however. Every diesel I own (and the cars as well) gets 5-40 Rotella Synthetic. My jobber delivers it in 55 gallon drums. The drain oil goes to my waste oil shop heater. All is well.

No snake oil in any crankcase however. Every diesel I own (and the cars as well) gets 5-40 Rotella Synthetic. My jobber delivers it in 55 gallon drums. The drain oil goes to my waste oil shop heater. All is well.

That is the stuff! very happy with the cold weather pumpability/starting:thumbsup:
The motor sounds happy:)

Last edited:
   / Add or not add oil additive to Kubota #12  
If you want to know for sure how your oil is holding up, have a sample tested. You'll actually learn what your engine does and doesn't need. It is quite likely that as long as you are using a good quality oil and staying within manufacturer's change intervals your oil is perfectly acceptable.

/ Add or not add oil additive to Kubota #13  
Question.

5030 posted: " Do yourself a favor and before you drain your oil, order a Blackstone analysis kit, they are free. Send a sample in and know for sure how the engine is doing. Why guess."

What is this "Blackstone analysis kit", where do you get it, and why is it free?

/ Add or not add oil additive to Kubota #14  
Foxl3830, you are wise in my opinion to ask about additives before just starting to use them. Your expeeience is about gas engines and now you are venturing into diesels so I had a similarvtransition. I didn't grow up around diesel engined tractors.

But imo you gacevto realizevthat whilebfas and diesel both share the common word of engine . . they are much different in many ways. Gas engines benefit from additives much more than diesel engines because gas is much more volatile and evaporative. In addition gas contains a bad word . . Ethanol. And ethanol is a rapud absorber of moisture and a harsh substance besides.

Meanwhile in many circumstances . . fuel oil is used as a cleaner. But diesel doesn't have ethanol and diesel doesn't have the same evaporative issues as gas either. And now that diesel requirements are for ultra low sulfur (15 parts per million) . . you also have less contaminants that way too.

Imo a good quality diesel engine oil should have all the additves already built into it. And as farvas duesel fuel goes . . and anti gel property is a very cheap but needrd thing for us Nirtherners or those in southern states who get "cold snap" conditions. I use a Coop brand of premium road diesel just because it gives me better mileage in my subcompact . . And as a result I found I burned a little cleaner and used less fuel at the same time even though I pay more because of road tax. (Ans uts available without roadvtax too). This premium diesel fuel is used by many fleets in the area too because they found less maintenance costs happened for theur construction equipment.

/ Add or not add oil additive to Kubota
Wow thanks everyone Iam new to diesels so thank you all I really appreciate everyone's in put so I'm going to just use Kubota oil and will add additives only in the winter for gel up only also I do buy my fuel from a truck stop I do have a place to buy off road fuel but all the more I use I figured truck stop get new fuel all the time and gets winter fuel sooner and summer fuel ok thanks changing oil this weekend thanks.

/ Add or not add oil additive to Kubota #17  
I can only offer this, re: Duralube, specifically.

I had an old van that got 10 MPG, always and forever. I put in Duralube and it went to 12 MPG.

I had a race motorcycle. I did a dyno run, then put in duralube, then did another dyno run. 2HP increase across the entire rev band. Runs were done within 15 minutes of each other, by me personally.

To that end, I am convinced it works, but have not put it into my BX yet. I did, however, use it on my 8.1 Liter motors on my boat and saw improvement in smoothness and mileage.

I like the stuff, but YMMV