Security & Theft Added a Battery Master Disconnect Switch

/ Added a Battery Master Disconnect Switch #1  

Doofy

Tractor
LS XR 3135HC
This afternoon, I installed a Battery Disconnect Switch to the Tractor. The tractor sits idle for long periods of time and the battery was always discharged when I wanted to use it.

As you can see, the switch is located beside the battery and is up side down. The knob is rather well hidden underneath and will also serve as a theft deterrent and fire prevention if there should ever be a short from chewed wires or a part malfunction.

Simple job: Drill 3/4" hole to mount switch.
Buy or make a 10" 4 gauge battery cable with a 5/16" eye and a 3/8" eye.

Remove Negative battery cable from battery and install on one post of new switch. Install the new cable on the other post of the switch and then connect the other end to the Negative post on the battery.

IMG_20191119_173202.jpgIMG_20191119_172815.jpg

/ Added a Battery Master Disconnect Switch #2  
For what it’s worth, I had a new skidsteer that the dealer put a battery quick connect on because he said otherwise the battery would drain when not in use. He was correct.

Fast forward to about three years later - I replaced the alternator and never had a battery drain issue again. Skidsteer starts right up even in the cold no matter how long it’s bern since I used it (although I like to run it at least once a month just to check in it)

Tractor battery has never been a problem; always starts right up.

/ Added a Battery Master Disconnect Switch #3  
I got one like this from HF a few years back for a different use:

4NGU6_AS01

Might act as a deterrent also if you take the 'key' out. Went back later to get another, but the 'key' wasn't removable on the newer style. Not sure if they changed back again or not.

/ Added a Battery Master Disconnect Switch
I got one like this from HF a few years back for a different use:

4NGU6_AS01

Might act as a deterrent also if you take the 'key' out. Went back later to get another, but the 'key' wasn't removable on the newer style. Not sure if they changed back again or not.
I have this type on my Ford Ranger and it works well. I probably should have used this type on the tractor also but the knob is fairly well hidden and very hard to see. I also probably didn't need such a heavy duty switch (175 amp).

/ Added a Battery Master Disconnect Switch
Computer drain probably. That, plus cold weather= low battery after a month or two without being started and run.

/ Added a Battery Master Disconnect Switch #6  
I put a knife edge one on the generator battery. You can get them at most auto supply places. Never seen these kind.

Ralph

/ Added a Battery Master Disconnect Switch #7  
That's actually a pretty smart idea. No need to pop the hood to get to it either. Just need to remember to shut it off when your not using it.
Wonder what that would do to my radio unit... Would I have to re-pair the Bluetooth it every time? hmm... first world problems. :)