Added a rear blade and now I have a few questions.

/ Added a rear blade and now I have a few questions. #1  

City Farmer

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford 3000, 4400 & 4500TLB Case 830 Case 350 dozer
I picked up this rear blade a while back and now I have a few questions.

1) Do you guys add bushing to keep the lift arms centered or doesn't it matter?

2) How much weight is to much weight on the front of a 2wd tractor? I'm positive the front axle can handle anything I put on it but I don't want to add more than I have to. This blade hangs so far off the back the front wheels were really light going through a small ditch. I'd guess the suitcase weights and mount adds about 850lbs.

The rears aren't loaded so I had a buddy make me some burn outs. (4) @ 22.5" dia X 2.5" thick, 1160lbs. The remote fittings should be here tomorrow to wrap this project up. The front tires on this machine a bigger than I wanted. They told me that this is what you get when you have 6" centers with 8 bolt lugs on a 10"rim. They ride nice but I think they're flotation tires.

Andy

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 170
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 154
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 199
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 151
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 161
   / Added a rear blade and now I have a few questions. #2  
Keeping the arms centred may not be a requirement.

Add an extension with wheels to the rear of that back blade and you'd have a really nice grader.

/ Added a rear blade and now I have a few questions. #3  
Add more weight as necessary to keep the front from being light. Especially since it's not a front wheel assist tractor.

/ Added a rear blade and now I have a few questions. #4  
I picked up this rear blade a while back and now I have a few questions.

1) Do you guys add bushing to keep the lift arms centered or doesn't it matter?

2) How much weight is to much weight on the front of a 2wd tractor? I'm positive the front axle can handle anything I put on it but I don't want to add more than I have to. This blade hangs so far off the back the front wheels were really light going through a small ditch. I'd guess the suitcase weights and mount adds about 850lbs.

The rears aren't loaded so I had a buddy make me some burn outs. (4) @ 22.5" dia X 2.5" thick, 1160lbs. The remote fittings should be here tomorrow to wrap this project up. The front tires on this machine a bigger than I wanted. They told me that this is what you get when you have 6" centers with 8 bolt lugs on a 10"rim. They ride nice but I think they're flotation tires.

Andy

The added weight should be fine under normal use, however, watch hitting chug holes or shallow gullies at faster speeds. I have snapped off a few spindles and front ends in the last 50 yrs by being in a hurry. Ken Sweet

/ Added a rear blade and now I have a few questions. #5  
If you imagine the rear axles as a fulcrum, you have 'way more weight in front of it than to the rear. Hard to believe the front end was very light, esp. with weights. I wouldn't worry about it.
And Ken, what's a chug hole?
Loading tires won't change that unless you load the fronts. That might be another couple hundred pounds. That's a great rugged machine if it's been cared for. Do you know what it was used for before you?
Jim

/ Added a rear blade and now I have a few questions.
If you imagine the rear axles as a fulcrum, you have 'way more weight in front of it than to the rear. Hard to believe the front end was very light, esp. with weights. I wouldn't worry about it.
Loading tires won't change that unless you load the fronts. That might be another couple hundred pounds. That's a great rugged machine if it's been cared for. Do you know what it was used for before you?
Jim

The front end was light before I added the suitcase weights, its rock solid now. I bought it non running from a Detroit auction early last year, $3400 out the door.:cool2:
I'm not really sure what they did to it besides smashing it all up. The meter said it was changed at 90hrs and it's showing 36now. The pto shaft and the draw bar are like brand new. I made new steering Lines, seat, all new rubber, remotes and have been slowly cleaning it up when I get the time. I'll eventually strip/paint the whole thing. I'm building a new house and I need to get this rear blade wrapped up. I've run about 4 tanks of fuel through it so far mowing and pulling a 12' disc. This thing pulls like an Ox. Hopefully, it's going to get better with all the weight I'm adding.

/ Added a rear blade and now I have a few questions.
Thanks for the help guys.

/ Added a rear blade and now I have a few questions. #8  
Jim

Jim, "Chug Hole" is Ky slang for Pot Hole. Ken Sweet

/ Added a rear blade and now I have a few questions. #9  
I second Egon's suggestion on the rear wheels. Look that up on internet it will help with leveling. Very nice blade there. Does the tractor have "stabilizers" to keep the bladed centered? Could not tell from the picture. They could be chains or steel rods or some sort of design. kt