Added Zerks to PTO shifter mechanism

/ Added Zerks to PTO shifter mechanism #1  

etpm

Veteran Member
Tractor
yanmar ym2310
When I got my Yanmar YM2310 the shifter mechanism was rusted stiff. After months of penetrating oil and working the lever I finally got it free a couple days ago. I decided, after cleaning all the rust off, that it needed some way to be lubricated. The shifter forks are made of 5mm thick steel with bushings welded to them. The bushings pass through the steel. The only good place to add the zerks was on the edge of the steel but the steel was too thin for that. So I made a couple 3/8 diameter x 3/8 long steel adapters that I drilled through with a 3/32 drill and then drilled and tapped 1/4-28 for the zerks. I welded these to the edge of the steel and then used the 3/32 hole already drilled as a drill guide to drill through the steel and through the bushings. Now, after it is all assembled, I greased the works through the new zerks. Since the shifter mechanism gets wet from the weather this solution will keep the forks from ever rusting on the shaft again.
Eric

/ Added Zerks to PTO shifter mechanism #2  
Smart move. If I ever need to take the fenders out of my tractor for some reason, I'll do the same on some of the levers.

It makes an huge difference on the feel of the levers and the longevity of the bushings and pivot shafts. It doesn't need to be greased as often as a loader but every once in a while, a little bit of fresh grease and it's good to go.