Adding 220v welding circuit to the shop/garage

/ Adding 220v welding circuit to the shop/garage #1  

nickel plate

Veteran Member
Tractor
2002 New Holland TC40S
I want to take a welding class at our local community college but while I'm waiting to sign up, I need to look into installing a 220v receptacle in my shop. I have an approximately seven year old G.E. Powermark Gold sub panel (wired from the house panel) just inside the man door, there are 3-20amp and 1-15amp breakers installed with room for eight more breakers. I can't find anywhere written what the panel's rating is. Before I obligate an electritian to quote the job, I thought I should ask the group's opinions/suggestions.
From a welding safety standpoint, should the receptacle be mounted inside or outside the shop?

/ Adding 220v welding circuit to the shop/garage #2  
Mount that welder plug inside your shop, no reason in making it a NEMA 3R installation. Thats electrical term for weather rated devices and covers.
No advantage to outdoor becuse you can make or puchase a long enough cord to go where ever, mounting inside close to your roll up not a bad location. Another thing to consider is running one conduit larger enough to put a small sub panel in your shop for future

/ Adding 220v welding circuit to the shop/garage #3  
If your plug is inside, you will be tempted to do welding inside.
Depending on the type of welding you do, you may want to get a few fire extinguishers and salt the shop with them. Maybe mount one to your welding cart.

Make a quick inventory of the space:
1) Is your shop attached to your house?
2) Is your shop made of combustible materials?
3) Do you store gas/fuel in the shop?
4) Do you have adequate ventilation?

Those pesky sparks can roll forever and will find old papers or anything else combustible under cabinets and tools clear across the building.

Work safely and you will be deeply satisfied with the freedom & value your new skills will represent. Good luck in the class - it's a great way to get started.

-Jim

/ Adding 220v welding circuit to the shop/garage #4  
Boy, the saftey police kind grilled you right away:confused2:

I wont do that, since you are taking a class, I'll assume they cover some saftey there.

As to your question, definatally inside. And usually close to the breaker panel. Reserve the longer cord and mobility for the welder itself.

No to your electrical questions. From the description, it does sound like a 100A 220v panel.

The rating of the panel will be whatever the main breaker is at the top. If you are not comfortable working on these things, then by all means, hire an electrician. But it sounds like all you need is a 40 or 50A breaker (depends on what welder you get) made for your box. Kill the main breaker at the top, Snap in the breaker, and then wire up the plug.

There are several 40-50A style 220v plugs. In my shop, I chose a 50A range style plug. Whatever you do choose, make sure the welder plug is the same. So you may want to wait until you have the welder first. Once you see what plug it has, drop some 6ga or 8ga wire off the breaker and wire you a new pluc up:thumbsup:

/ Adding 220v welding circuit to the shop/garage #5  
I've done this a couple of times. Buy the wire and receptical at home depot and run a dedicated wire from where you want it to the vicinity of your breaker panel. Then hire an electrician to hook it all up right. You will save tons by buying the wire and receptical yourself and running the wire yourself. But it's not worth saving on the install. Have an electrician do it. It will only take him maybe a half an hour. You'll pay the minimum probably.

/ Adding 220v welding circuit to the shop/garage #6  
What size breaker at the house is feeding the shop sub panel? 120v or 240V? How far from the house panel to the shop panel?

/ Adding 220v welding circuit to the shop/garage #7  
Yes, it could be a 100 amp panel and should have a mane barker. I would also locate where and how it is connected back to your house panel and see what gauge wire is used for that run just to be on the safe side.

/ Adding 220v welding circuit to the shop/garage
If your plug is inside, you will be tempted to do welding inside.
Depending on the type of welding you do, you may want to get a few fire extinguishers and salt the shop with them. Maybe mount one to your welding cart.

Make a quick inventory of the space:
1) Is your shop attached to your house?
2) Is your shop made of combustible materials?
3) Do you store gas/fuel in the shop?
4) Do you have adequate ventilation?

Those pesky sparks can roll forever and will find old papers or anything else combustible under cabinets and tools clear across the building.

Work safely and you will be deeply satisfied with the freedom & value your new skills will represent. Good luck in the class - it's a great way to get started.

-Jim
1) NO
2) YES
3) YES
4) YES

Thanks, Jim

/ Adding 220v welding circuit to the shop/garage
What size breaker at the house is feeding the shop sub panel? 120v or 240V? How far from the house panel to the shop panel?

The breaker at the house that feeds the shop is a 2 pole type MP-T 120/240v.
We followed the NEC wire size code-the house panel is about 75 feet from the shop sub panel and is in an underground conduit.

/ Adding 220v welding circuit to the shop/garage #10  
Yes, it could be a 100 amp panel and should have a mane barker. I would also locate where and how it is connected back to your house panel and see what gauge wire is used for that run just to be on the safe side.

I would also agree it is a 100 amp rated panel. The only way to tell is on the sticker on the door to the panel, there will be a label that states the ratting. there may not be a main in that panel since it is fed off the house panel. See what size breaker that is in your main panel. and that will determine if you have adequate wire feeding the main lug sub panel.