Adding Color to Motor Oil??

/ Adding Color to Motor Oil?? #1  

Old Okie

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 245 Deisel
I have several machines to maintain, mowers, roto tillers, MF tractor and so on. I have very poor eye sight, nearly blind. I do OK except when I check the oil in these machines. If the oil is getting dirty I can see it on the dip stick, if the oil is clean I can not see it on the dip stick. How can I add color to the oil??

/ Adding Color to Motor Oil?? #2  
There are paste type products that indicate by color change when various petroleum products are detected. We used one type when measuring underground diesel tanks with measuring sticks.
I believe some are made to detect oil, which would indicate generally a red color on the dipstick.
They also make dyes for hydraulic oil, but I don't know how this would fare in engine oil. Perhaps someone here has tried it.

/ Adding Color to Motor Oil?? #3  
Another thing to try. Simply press dipstick onto blue paper towels, oil shows up great this way. I use it on generator services. Oil is too clear to see on silver dip stick. I know of no coloring agent,

/ Adding Color to Motor Oil?? #5  
Char the end of your dipstick black, or use a marker and let it dry for 30 seconds before checking the oil.

/ Adding Color to Motor Oil?? #6  
If I have an issue seeing oil level on a particular dip stick due to its shine, I heat the dip stick, in the checking range, with a propane torch turning that section of the stick much darker. It truly helps seeing the oil level. DO NOT attempt this on dipsticks made of non-metallic material, of course

/ Adding Color to Motor Oil?? #7  
I've had to to the paper towel trick several times on really clean oil. Works great! (y)

/ Adding Color to Motor Oil?? #8  
Damn good idea to char The end of the dipstick, gonna do that. My old eyes are having trouble seeing new clean oil on the dipstick.

/ Adding Color to Motor Oil?? #9  
I copy what most auto manufacturers do today. I drill a small hole in the dipstick at the full mark and one at the add mark. The motor oil will bridge the holes and you can easily see it when looking at the holes. I use a 1/16" drill. Motor oil or hydraulic oil will bridge that diameter hole easily.

/ Adding Color to Motor Oil?? #10  
for a reading i sometimes invert the dipstick in bright lighting, usually can see where the level drips down