Traction Adding fluid to rear tires. Questions

/ Adding fluid to rear tires. Questions #11  
I don't recommend letting the water freeze. That could lead to a nasty explosion of the tire/rim. A rear tractor tire blowing can be a very scary event.

Not if you leave an air space like you are supposed to. The rubber will also give more than the water expands.

/ Adding fluid to rear tires. Questions #12  
I installed rimguard myself in my kubota. I popped the bead on one side and used a kerosene hand pump I already had. Only hardest part was carrying 5 gallon pails full of rimguard from the dealer. You would need a way to carry the stuff, get it home and fill up the tires. The dealer I bought it from had extra pails they didnt need from oil changes for me.

/ Adding fluid to rear tires. Questions #13  
I installed rimguard myself in my kubota. I popped the bead on one side and used a kerosene hand pump I already had. Only hardest part was carrying 5 gallon pails full of rimguard from the dealer. You would need a way to carry the stuff, get it home and fill up the tires. The dealer I bought it from had extra pails they didnt need from oil changes for me.

Did they give you a break on the price? I ask a couple around here and they wanted the same price no matter if they installed it or if they just sold it to you.

/ Adding fluid to rear tires. Questions #14  
Hello,

My Kubota 3830 has no fluid in the rear tires. I'm thinking about adding fluid and have some questions.

1. What is the best fluid to use? Calcium is out of the question. I do not want any corrosion!

2. Can I add fluid myself?

3. How do you calculate the volume of fluid? I know the tire should have no more than 70% fluid.

Thank you for any help! :)
1) Ya, but it may take 30 or more years and even then only be a surface rust.
RimGuard, though it is doubtful that it is worth the money.
2)Yes, and you don't need fancy pumps or other equipment.
If you learned how to start a siphon at school get an adapter for about $10 and a short garden hose.
If you are gentle with the FEL hoist the mixture up as high as you can to increase the flow rate.
3) 75% is the generally accepted point beyond which the tire has so little air that it becomes a very harsh ride.
FORTUNATELY this is just about the point at which most tires will fill to with the valve at 12 o'clock, air just gets trapped above there, so it becomes very difficult to get more than that in anyway.

For gallons see the Firestone Ag web site where they have tables for just about every tire size you can use.

/ Adding fluid to rear tires. Questions
Not if you leave an air space like you are supposed to. The rubber will also give more than the water expands.

It will give if the rubber is new and doesn't have stress concentrations (weak points, cuts, etc). If not it will burst. Not worth the risk. Plus the rims eventually rust.

/ Adding fluid to rear tires. Questions #16  
Will the water/anti-freeze mix cause corrison of the rims over time?

Antifreeze is a corrosion inhibitor. Mixed with water, propylene glycol, for instance, in concentrations of about 20% or more will prevent any corrosion and it will last for many years. Freeze protection would be good to below zero, and then it would only get slushy until ten below or so. Ethylene is also a good corrosion inhibitor, but it's highly toxic and it attracts cats and dogs when it spills.

I can't see how a freeze could lead to a "nasty explosion". Only a very slight rise in pressure. There will always be about 30% or so of the tire that has only air because the liquid is filled just to the top of the wheel. I've seen frozen tires on more than one tractor and repeatedly. Never caused more than a rough ride and out of balance for a while.

Woodchuckie mentioned using only a gallon of antifreeze. This is not enough to help with freezing except in the most mild of climates. And most likely not enough to help with corrosion.

I'm interested in using winter windshield washer fluid, but I wonder if it has any corrosion protection? I think it just has alcohol for it's freeze protection.

/ Adding fluid to rear tires. Questions #17  
What about methanol? That's what the tire dealer put in mine. Also, at what tractor weight does filling the rears become unnecessary? Thanks,

/ Adding fluid to rear tires. Questions #18  
What about methanol? That's what the tire dealer put in mine. Also, at what tractor weight does filling the rears become unnecessary? Thanks,

As noted, WWF is about 30-40% methanol. I doubt your dealer installed pure methanol as it is expensive and actually weighs less than water. A mix of 15-40% methanol or so in water depending on how deep a freeze can be expected in your region is fine.

Even monster tractors use additional ballast so for practical purposes there is no tractor too heavy to benefit from loading rear tires. That is of course unless you actually want a light tractor for lawn mowing or trailering etc.

/ Adding fluid to rear tires. Questions #19  
I wonder how the added weight of the liquid causes a performance loss or excessive wear on the ground drive parts, HST etc

/ Adding fluid to rear tires. Questions #20  
I have always had a tire shop load my tires with methanol mix. This is what I have on my big tractor which sits outside or under a open sided shed. My backhoe stays inside a insulated shop. No heat in there but it has a sink and toilet and they have never froze. I am considering loading my backhoe tires myself with straight water. I doubt they would ever freeze as it is stored inside and I don't use it much when it is below freezing as it is open station and I am a wimp. Any reason not to do this?