Adding guide wheels to blade or rake

/ Adding guide wheels to blade or rake #11  
Danny, I just got the wheels and tires from HF. I made all the rest. Yes it is just a pipe with a rod running thru it for the castor part. Just like most finish mowers. I just keep it greased with a zerk fitting on the pipe. The spacers are just short pieces of the same pipe.

/ Adding guide wheels to blade or rake #12  
Hi Von...

Sure looks like a professional job... /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

I was at an auction a few weeks back and saw a dealer buy a pair of York brand wheels for $245...!!!

They said that was considered cheap... /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Adding guide wheels to blade or rake #13  
I was looking at TSC 10" wheels (49.99) for same thing
that northern had for 29.99.
I need to put them on so I can reverse the wheels and put in front of blade
or rake when using it on SSL and pushing it.
W/ the tube welded on and removable wheels w/ jacks they can be moved
from 6' blade to 7' blade to rake to box blade.
One set-up to use on 4 pcs.
That was why I was going for the 12" wheels (625# rating) these have grease zerks
on swivel and hub.
Plenty of grease in wheels will keep dirt out.

/ Adding guide wheels to blade or rake
I'm still on the trailer jack kick, but a little different approach. I'm considering using this and then bolting this <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=4006970&storeId=6970&productId=658&langId=-1>caster wheel to it. I called Northern and this wheel has ball bearings and is greasable, but the pivot isn't, so I'd have to a add a grease zerk or find a caster wheel that is already greasable at the wheel and pivot. With these I could easily adjust the height and pivot them up out of the way when I don't need them. The jack is $20 plus shipping for a total of $30 and the wheel is $22 plus shipping for a total of $30. I'm going to check around for better prices.

/ Adding guide wheels to blade or rake #15  
Danny, looks like a great idea but it seems to be getting close to the cost from the rake manufactures, although I like your ease of adjustment better than all but York's. One thing though is that it looks like the pivot bearings are just sandwitched in between the top plate of the caster and the top of the yoke - no seal. What do you think?

djradz - I thought of that "no seal" problem too. If someone was going to be using the guide wheels a lot, such as someone who puts in lawns or something, then that would be a problem. But, for me it's just once in a while for the last few passes while leveling and area I'm re-doing or patching, and while pushing snow in the winter (it doesn't snow much here). So, I think I would be OK as long as there was a zerk to push grease in there, which would push the dirt out. Your'e right about the cost approaching the cost of a kit, so I need to find some better prices. A local store called Big Blue (local to southern Indiana) is going out of business, so I'm going to see if I can get something at a clearance price. I don't know if they'll have what I need though. I plan to go down there on Thursday (that's "kids eat free day" at the Tumbleweed resaurant).

/ Adding guide wheels to blade or rake #17  
I have been thinking about a similar thing for my rake.

My plan is to get 2 telescoping sizes of square tubing. I do not know the sizes well enough, but something around 2 inches. I would cap one end of each tube and cut holes for an acme screw to pass through. My thought is to use 1 inch threaded acme rod. I would attach an acme nut to the inner square tubing and also attach some kind of nut or pipe to the acme screw where it would exit the top of the outer tubing to keep the screw from falling out. Basically a simple jack.

I was thinking along these lines, because I could not be certain that the jacks I had seen in the Northern Hydraulics catalog would robust enough to handle the rough use I think they would see behind my rake. By building my own I can get something that is at 1/8 or 3/16 wall thickness and should be plenty tough.

For the casters, I have seen some for sale at Atwoods (similar to TSC) that are similar to what I have behind my brushhog. I am not quite sure where I would attach at though. If there is enough space I would to the inside tube. Or I could construct the jack so the the outer tube is the one that moves and attach the caster to the outside.

I checked at TSC yesterday and they have a trailer jack with a flat plate on the bottom for $22. It appeared to be pretty sturdy and I'm confident it would do the job for my purposes. I checked on their caster wheels and they have a 8"x2.5" pneumatic one with ball bearings and grease zerks on both the wheel and pivot for $40 (TSC #3530054). That seems too high priced, so I'm going to keep looking, and I would also like to have a wider one. They have a 10"x3.5" pneumatic one with ball bearings and a grease zerk on the pivot, but no zerk on the wheel (odd?), for $40 (TSC #3520902). TSC does sell a kit for the King Kutter yard rakes, but they said they had to call in and find out the price during the day (I was there in the evening), so they're supposed to call them today and then get back with me. I need to check Harbor Freight next. I can't tell from the web site which ones have ball bearings and zerks, so I need to call them.

I called Harbor Freight and they have a 10"x3.5" pnuematic caster wheel for $17 (item 38944-3VGA). With shipping and handling it would be $22.44. But, they don't know if it has ball bearings on the pivot or if it has grease zerks at all. All they know is that it does have ball bearings on the wheel. They said if I ordered them and don't like them for any reason I can return them within 30 days and they would pay the shipping back. So, if I found out that they don't have ball bearings on the pivot and don't have grease zerks, then I can return them. I don't know if I would get refunded for the original shipping charges or not.

Just for reference:

King Kutter has a gauge wheel kit for $185 plus shipping (approx $15). It has 9"x3.5" pneumatic tires and both the wheel and pivot are greasable via zerks. The pivot is a shaft with spacers to adjust the height. The wheel does not have ball bearings, just a bushing.

First Choice has a gauge wheel kit for $179, Via Carver Equipment, plus shipping (shipping cost unknown). It has 9.5"x3.5" solid tires. The pivot is a shaft with spacers to adjust the height. I sent an email to find out more info.