Adding rear hydraulics for grapple - L3240

/ Adding rear hydraulics for grapple - L3240 #1  

Jeff59Va

Tractor
Kubota L3240HST, Kubota RTV1120D, Kubota BX2380
Hey guys,

Just bought a new-to-me Kubota L3240 with factory FEL with SSQA. I would like to add a grapple, and am wondering what the best choice is for hydraulics to control it. The tractor currently does not have rear hydraulics and I called Messick's last week to inquire about adding the factory kit. They can still get it, and it would be about $750 for everything for a single set in the rear. I would install it myself.

I don't have any attachments in mind right now that needs hydraulics in the rear. I plan to get a rotary cutter at some point, but just one that hooks to the three point hitch, so no real need there. I like the idea of the factory kit from the clean-installation perspective, so I guess I would go that route unless it wasn't very functional or cost a lot more.

So the questions:
- would having the grapple controls in the Kubota factory spot a couple feet away from the loader controls be annoying? (as in having to move your hands too much?)
- would trying to put something together from parts be a lot cheaper than the $750? My concern here is that I can do the factory kit myself, but looking at some of the websites, I have no idea what to order.

I have looked at some past threads, but none have clear directions on parts, or if they do, the links are dead. (or maybe I am just not good at searching :) )

Thanks!

/ Adding rear hydraulics for grapple - L3240 #2  
I have a L5740 with three rear remotes and after considering the awkward position of the rear remote controllers decided to go with a third function, but it was pretty expensive. The next easiest to use is a diverter kit, you can get the parts separately or Ken's Bolt on sells a kit, The Ultimate Diverter Valve Kit: Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks <<Hydraulics>>

/ Adding rear hydraulics for grapple - L3240 #3  
How far away is the rear remote control lever from the FEL joystick? On my Kioti it is a simple matter of dropping your hand off the FEL joystick and more ergonometric than moving my hand from a steering wheel to the shifter on a manual transmission car. It takes perhaps an hour to get used to doing it without looking and then it is simply automatic.

I've had both rear remotes and a WRLong diverter to control the grapple on two different tractors. I frankly prefer the rear remote. Once you get the rear remotes installed (install at least two, maybe three if hydraulic side link is necessary), then just measure the length of hose you need (plan on 90 degree fittings at the back of the tractor and straight in front) then buy appropriate lengths of 3/8 inch hose to run under the tractor and up the FEL post/arm and quick connects. You'll need zipties to secure the hoses until you are happy with position and then you can make the mount more permanent if you like. You should be operating the grapple about fifteen minutes after installing the remotes.

/ Adding rear hydraulics for grapple - L3240
How far away is the rear remote control lever from the FEL joystick?

Just measured it - about 18 inches. Which is not too bad, but I can see where the ergonomics might not be the best. Instead of a shifter, it's more like a seat back adjustment - those rear remote levers are pretty far back, somewhat behind you.

/ Adding rear hydraulics for grapple - L3240 #5  
Just measured it - about 18 inches. Which is not too bad, but I can see where the ergonomics might not be the best. Instead of a shifter, it's more like a seat back adjustment - those rear remote levers are pretty far back, somewhat behind you.

OK, now consider just how often you will be opening and closing the grapple. From my experience over the past ten years of grapple use, you tend to open and close the grapple once or twice to load and once again to discharge the load. It's not something that you are likely to do more than once or at most twice a minute unless you are moving piles around in a very small area. You will naturally have your hand on the FEL controller as you'll be making more adjustments with that. Bottom line for me is that moving your hand 18 inches every few minutes is not a difficult or inconvenient task.

Also, remember that you have multiple uses for rear remotes so you really should install them anyways. Hook up the grapple using the rear remotes and use it for a while. If you really find it inconvenient then add the diverter valve. You can recycle the quick connects and hoses. Just take the hoses to a local hydraulic shop and have them cut to the new sizes needed for the diverter. I don't recall anyone who started with the rear remotes who was frustrated and then installed a diverter. Most guys who install diverters do so because the dealer or TBN folks talked them into it from the start. In my case I started with a rear remote controlled grapple on my CK20 and for no good reason other than that I got a free used diverter I had the dealer install a diverter on my DK40se. If I had to do it over I'd just use rear remotes on my DK.

/ Adding rear hydraulics for grapple - L3240 #6  

I don't think you will like it. On my Kioti it is convenient, I can operate it without my palm leaving the joystick. But 18 inches, no I don't think you will like it. Will it work? sure. but you will cuss it. it would spend a lot less than 750 on a diverter or 3rd function kit. The third function kit will be about that $750 or even a bit more, but of course I would not buy a kit.. But that is me, I would piece it together. There are lot of diverter kits, and valves to easily make diverters out of. Here is one.

of course you will need fittings and hoses. come out of the curl/dump work ports on your existing FEL and put those ports into the left side of the valve. You will need some short hoses and fittings/adaptors. Then put the hoses that go to your curl/dump cylinders into the right side of the valve, of course you will need fittings/adaptors. now the face ports on the valve will be active when you activate the solenoid with 12 volts thru a momentary pushbutton switch on your joystick or you could use a foot operated momentary pushbutton switch on the left side floorboard if you have a HST transmission. You should be able to do the divertor setup including hoses, fitting and valve for around $350. If you can find a kit for around that, then go for it. Someone else has done the shopping and thinking for you in that case.

Operation of a diverter should be slick and easy, press and hold the button then either curl or dump to open/close the grapple jaw. Then release button to restore the curl/dump function to actually curl/dump your grapple. Normal bucket operation will be as always as the fluid will pass from the work ports on your FEL valve and pass right thru the new electric/hydraulic diverter valve from left to right sided ports.

/ Adding rear hydraulics for grapple - L3240 #7  
I don't think you will like it. On my Kioti it is convenient, I can operate it without my palm leaving the joystick. But 18 inches, no I don't think you will like it. Will it work? sure. but you will cuss it.
James, have you ever operated a grapple using rear remotes? It isn't a big deal to move your hand. It's about 18 inches from steering wheel to 4 on the floor in a truck. No biggie especially as opening and closing the grapple doesn't happen nearly as much as changing gears in traffic.

/ Adding rear hydraulics for grapple - L3240 #8  
This is an interesting topic, with no clear cut answers, and a lot depends on personal expectations and desires. I don't know how comfortable I would be piecing together a third function system, but I think I could do it. A factory kit would be less stressful, and probably neater? Having the plow control at my side is not an issue, but then, how often do you have to move it?

My L3400 came with a rear remote, and here's how I ran hoses to the front loader arm for my plow cylinder. Surplus Center had everything I needed, for a fair price, including the specific mounting blocks. The photo gives you the concept, anyway- 90's out of the tractor's fittings, with 45's to send the hoses on their way to the front.

P1010814.jpg

/ Adding rear hydraulics for grapple - L3240 #9  
James, have you ever operated a grapple using rear remotes? It isn't a big deal to move your hand. It's about 18 inches from steering wheel to 4 on the floor in a truck. No biggie especially as opening and closing the grapple doesn't happen nearly as much as changing gears in traffic.

Not that far no. I operate mine on my Kioti all the time, but it is convenient to operate. :) I could be wrong of course about the 18 inch reach being a PITA. But then I think changing gears and clutching is a PITA too. I used to do it all the time, everyday. But anymore, the older I get, I seem to be always looking for convenience and ease. :eek: I lengthened the lever on my rear remote so I did not have to drop my hand down.installed 2.jpginstalled 1.jpgin use.jpg