Adjusting the Govenor on a Kubota

/ Adjusting the Govenor on a Kubota #11  
You may have to run the engine at slightly higher than 2200 rpm before it's loaded. When you load a mechanical governor it inherently causes the speed to "droop" as the load increases. With a generator this results in reduced frequency, which the heat pump may not tolerate for starting. Speed droop is defined as "a decrease in speed setting for an increase in load". I doubt you have engine power issues if the tractor is operating normally otherwise.

In other words, instead of having a solid 60 Hz as you would off the utility grid, the frequency from your generator may be quite low as the load increases.

I'd recommend hooking up a multi-meter that will read frequency, and check the generator voltage and frequency output at 540 PTO speed. If the tach isn't correct, you may have less than 60 Hz to begin with, or if the voltage regulator is out of adjustment you may be trying to start the pump with lower than normal voltage too.

Both are correctable in most cases, the frequency surely is. If the voltage is correct, adjust the engine speed to give you 61 Hz with no load, then try starting the heat pump and see what happens. Ideally you will have 60 Hz at 50% of the generator maximum load capacity, the upper and lower end will be what they are unless you adjust the engine speed to give you 60 Hz at a steady load.

Sean

/ Adjusting the Govenor on a Kubota
Thank you Chilly807, i'll try it!!! sincerely belah:thumbsup:

/ Adjusting the Govenor on a Kubota #13  
Goosing it would be the better less complicated way to do this for you as its less work. I would also ask your Trane dealer about the unloader on your heat pump also.;)

This is the same reason that larger generators and cranes have load sensitive throttle systems and are always worked at high idle to provide maximum power and control.

/ Adjusting the Govenor on a Kubota #14  
You may have to run the engine at slightly higher than 2200 rpm before it's loaded. When you load a mechanical governor it inherently causes the speed to "droop" as the load increases. With a generator this results in reduced frequency, which the heat pump may not tolerate for starting. Speed droop is defined as "a decrease in speed setting for an increase in load". I doubt you have engine power issues if the tractor is operating normally otherwise.

In other words, instead of having a solid 60 Hz as you would off the utility grid, the frequency from your generator may be quite low as the load increases.

I'd recommend hooking up a multi-meter that will read frequency, and check the generator voltage and frequency output at 540 PTO speed. If the tach isn't correct, you may have less than 60 Hz to begin with, or if the voltage regulator is out of adjustment you may be trying to start the pump with lower than normal voltage too.

Both are correctable in most cases, the frequency surely is. If the voltage is correct, adjust the engine speed to give you 61 Hz with no load, then try starting the heat pump and see what happens. Ideally you will have 60 Hz at 50% of the generator maximum load capacity, the upper and lower end will be what they are unless you adjust the engine speed to give you 60 Hz at a steady load.

Sean

This is a sound theory except you are overlooking one fact that tells me there is something amiss with his engine. That fact is that there is no smoke when the engine is pulled down. Any NA diesel will put out smoke when it is in an overload condition unless there is a fueling problem. That tractor should run that generator at full power with ease.:D JMHO

/ Adjusting the Govenor on a Kubota #15  
A 5 ton single phase compressor is a big load to start. Is the genny big enough to handle the starting surge???

I have seen many 5 ton unit fused at 60 with slow blow fuses.