Advice for 1980 Kubota L345

/ Advice for 1980 Kubota L345
It was pretty common for older tractors to not have an over flow tank. About the only time those would dump anything off the radiator, was when the engine was already overheating hard.

The little B7000 I had, didn't even had a water pump. It used a thermosyphon cooling system.

It's interesting. There's an overflow port at the filler neck and a length of tubing attached to that.

I guess I'll try running the tractor for awhile and see how much coolant it wants to purge and install an overflow tank if it seems like a good idea.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I'll also check for ROPS attachment points but I didn't notice any. The tractor is a 1980-81.

/ Advice for 1980 Kubota L345 #23  
It's interesting. There's an overflow port at the filler neck and a length of tubing attached to that.

I guess I'll try running the tractor for awhile and see how much coolant it wants to purge and install an overflow tank if it seems like a good idea.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I'll also check for ROPS attachment points but I didn't notice any. The tractor is a 1980-81.
You're probably just missing the small hose that would connect to that port and dump straight to the ground, but as I said, that only dumps in an overheating condition and starts by pushing steam out.

That older system doesn't quite work like the modern ones where it expands the coolant, sends it to the expansion tank and then gets it back once things are cold.

As far as ROPS, like K5 said, that tractor didn't have any ROPS. The ones seen on pictures are either homemade ones or aftermarket ones that were offered some time ago.

/ Advice for 1980 Kubota L345 #24  
Kubotas like this were sold with an optional axle-clamped ROPS (first pic). Later, when they realized very few were being sold, they decided to offer a nifty ROPS for L345 and L355 tractors that attaches with long thru-bolts at the top 3-pt connection at the back end of the trans/differential case (second pic). To encourage owners to get one, there was a low-price program for it. Not sure if its offered any more. I would guess there are some on dismantled machines in yards? This one is an old picture from "fastline"??

Attachments

• b2b2_3.JPG
    b2b2_3.JPG
    384.4 KB · Views: 81
  • Used ROPS for L345.jpg
    Used ROPS for L345.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 77
You're probably just missing the small hose that would connect to that port and dump straight to the ground, but as I said, that only dumps in an overheating condition and starts by pushing steam out.

That older system doesn't quite work like the modern ones where it expands the coolant, sends it to the expansion tank and then gets it back once things are cold.

As far as ROPS, like K5 said, that tractor didn't have any ROPS. The ones seen on pictures are either homemade ones or aftermarket ones that were offered some time ago.

I'm glad you mentioned this distinction. I was never quite cognizant of the difference between an expansion tank and an overflow tank. After reading your post I spent some time familiarizing myself on the differences.

I think I'll install an overflow tank just to recover and conserve the coolant for reuse. I'm expecting that an expansion tank won't be necessary.

Thanks Pedro.

Kubotas like this were sold with an optional axle-clamped ROPS (first pic). Later, when they realized very few were being sold, they decided to offer a nifty ROPS for L345 and L355 tractors that attaches with long thru-bolts at the top 3-pt connection at the back end of the trans/differential case (second pic). To encourage owners to get one, there was a low-price program for it. Not sure if its offered any more. I would guess there are some on dismantled machines in yards? This one is an old picture from "fastline"??

Thanks for the photos and history. It's much appreciated.

Here's a good article from 2014 on the history and data of ROPS:

A few of the many interesting facts for those that don't want to click the link:
  • The Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSHA) requires an approved ROPS for all agricultural tractors over 20 horsepower that were manufactured after October 25, 1976, and which are operated by a hired employee.
  • Beginning in 1985, American tractor manufacturers began voluntarily adding ROPS on all farm tractors sold in the United States over 20 horsepower.
  • The tractor is the leading cause of death on the farm.
  • Experienced operators are involved in 80% of all Tractor rollovers.
  • The use of ROPS and a seat belt is estimated to be 99% effective in preventing death or serious injury in the event of a tractor rollover.