Advice for pergola construction (pics)

/ Advice for pergola construction (pics) #1  

Wakey

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere Z915B Zero Turn 54 Deck
Didn't want to but I hired this out. The economy has recovered nicely so my go to people that could help me and provide some knowledge are busy with higher paying jobs.

First question is the "straps" on the "joists" that connect them to the timber attached to the house.

Do I have any other options?

The brackets they used on the front of the structure won't fit on the rear since the joists nearly butt up against the house (1/4 inch)

Attachments

• image-587967586.jpg
    image-587967586.jpg
    333.8 KB · Views: 6,927
  • image-2935838571.jpg
    image-2935838571.jpg
    537.7 KB · Views: 297
   / Advice for pergola construction (pics)
Here are the brackets they used in the front. The only way I think these would work in the rear is if I used another 2X10 band across the rear. I plan on making the modifications once they are finished.

Attachments

• image-1203884735.jpg
    image-1203884735.jpg
    418.4 KB · Views: 400
   / Advice for pergola construction (pics) #3  
   / Advice for pergola construction (pics) #4  
Any metal you attach or screw into that lumber MUST be either stainless steel, 1st preferred choice, or hot dipped galvanized, otherwise the pressure treated wood will eat it like chocolate. There are books and plans on how to properly build things like Pergolas at H. Depot and on the net. You don't want that structure to come down, ever. Make sure it is properly attached at the house ledger.

How is it attached, the ledger board, currently?
It's hard to tell from your pictures. Take some more, showing and detailing what the fasteners are and where and how many there are.

You may want to consider some shade sail cloth material to cut down on the amount of sun that enters the area. It will make it cooler and can be retracted as needed if installed with that intent.

Post back more details.:thumbsup:

Update: on further examination, looking at the second pic you posted it looks like they used Timberlock black hex headed screws to lock the ledger board to the house wall, hopefully sized adequately and speced properly so as to attach to the exterior wall studs in every case.

What I don't like about the corner bracket attaching the ledger board to the end joist is the use of the yellow colored coated screws. Those brackets, and the hurricane straps, ALL need to be fastened with Tico nails, which are specifically designed for the application. Screws do not, with the exception of the Timberlock type, have the shear strength required to hold the structure from tearing apart in high wind/etc.
It's a simple fix, remove the screws and use a palm nailer to install the correct size Tico nails.

Again, you want to protect yourself and family/friends from catastrophic failure, which can easily be prevented, by doing thing right the first time.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but anything of that amount of mass overhead must be properly fastened. Screws in the ties are NOT the way to do it.

Last edited:
   / Advice for pergola construction (pics) #5  
Simpson does make screws for their straps and brackets that have the same rating as their nails (you just have to match up the right screws to the right brackets). In many cases, they are a better choice than the nails. I tend to mix the screws and nails interchangeably per their spec.

I agree, they should not have used construction screws for those brackets. That would not pass code here -- the inspectors look for the actual numbers on the heads of the nails/screws.

/ Advice for pergola construction (pics) #6  
Tico nails are used in our house for all hurricane ties, a pain putting them in, but they were required.

/ Advice for pergola construction (pics) #7  
Simpson does make screws for their straps and brackets that have the same rating as their nails (you just have to match up the right screws to the right brackets). In many cases, they are a better choice than the nails. I tend to mix the screws and nails interchangeably per their spec.

I agree, they should not have used construction screws for those brackets. That would not pass code here -- the inspectors look for the actual numbers on the heads of the nails/screws.

Well, didn't know of the rated screws; (last time I did any brackets, Tico nails were the go to thing); but for sure those that were used are worthless re: shear strength, and won't pass any code.

Tico nails are used in our house for all hurricane ties, a pain putting them in, but they were required.

They are less fun than screws, but not so much if using a air driven palm nailer.

The screws are make by Deckmate so they are coated but I'm not sure of shear strength.

Pictured you can see we had a custom sized piece of Sunbrella seven together, 7X10.

I installed a $100 wet rated fan, crossing my fingers on that one lol

The flagstone on top the pillars or whatever you call them will be replaced tomorrow, his cuts weren't that great.

The stack stone is made by Air Stone, it's concrete and styrofoam and its adhered with their product that comes in the large tubes and you dispense it with a large caulk gun.

I plan on sealing them, the flagstone and the stamped concrete with a solvent based sealer. I'll do another thread for that, I'm pretty excited about making the concrete look better.

Attachments

• image-2547163128.jpg
    image-2547163128.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 118
  • image-115445352.jpg
    image-115445352.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 122
  • image-2893308789.jpg
    image-2893308789.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 97
  • image-2576519001.jpg
    image-2576519001.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 209
  • image-1058449654.jpg
    image-1058449654.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 117
  • image-510864244.jpg
    image-510864244.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 104
C.M., I'll get the brand screws he used to fasten the timbers together and reply back.

/ Advice for pergola construction (pics) #10  
Wakey,

I'm pretty sure from your pic that they are Timberlock or similar brand name. They are designed to do the job of holding a ledger board to a solid structural member like a wall stud below the sheathing on your exterior wall They have a fairly long shank with no threads, then a section of aggressive threads to cut and hold to the support wood.

Unlike the coated deck screws which, I guarantee you have little to no shear strength, because they are NOT designed to be used in that type of application. If they were they would not have a tapered shank near the head of the screw which make them much more likely to give way when stressed by a vertical load. They are meant to be used in a top down application for screwing a deck board to a joist. They are NOT load bearing capable.
Whereas, Tico nails or screws are designed to do exactly that. Resisting shear loads is what they do. They have to do so for that is what they are engineered for.

Here is a link to Ledgerlok brand screws: it contains technical and otehr info useful to your exact situation.
https://www.fastenmaster.com/details/product/ledgerlok-ledger-board-fastener.html