Advice on putting a tube in a tubeless front tire.

/ Advice on putting a tube in a tubeless front tire. #1  

marhar

Gold Member
Tractor
Farm Trac 60
I have a two-wheel drive Farm Trac 60 with 3 ribbed tubeless front tires. I have a very slow leak and I think it is at the rim.

Is there any downside to putting a tube in the tire?

/ Advice on putting a tube in a tubeless front tire. #2  
I put tubes in all 4 of my skid steer tires. Tubes are aggravating when you puncture them again but in the meantime the leaks are fixed. I’d tried tire plugs and sealer before the tubes and neither one worked.

• Good Post
Reactions: JJT
   / Advice on putting a tube in a tubeless front tire. #3  
Our big tractor has one of the front tires tubed, we couldn't keep it up.

/ Advice on putting a tube in a tubeless front tire. #4  
If it gets folded during the install, it can hold air, but can develop a leak later from where it folded onto itself. The guys at our co-op do so many, they know how to get it done without leaks.

/ Advice on putting a tube in a tubeless front tire. #5  
A lot of tire installers don't know how to deal with tubes.
1. Inside of tire need be smooth - remove any old plugs, etc.
2. Pre-inflate the tube - allow to stretch.
3. Lightly cover with talcom powder - helps locate tube in tire and the tube to situate against the tire.
4. Deflate tube - but not entirely. Leave a little air therein to aide in positioning. Insert tube in tire.
5 Inflate slowly - to allow tube to position itself against the tire and allow any wrinkles to stretch out.
They make radial tubes for radial tires, and of course, bias for bias. You can use radial for either, but bias only in bias tires. I don't know how important this is with a slow moving tractor tire.
No issue with one tire having tube, and the other not.

/ Advice on putting a tube in a tubeless front tire. #6  
What I do is partially inflate the tube and install it, watching to make sure the tube does not get pinched between the tire and the rim during installation and inflation. Then let most of the air out to let the tube move around inside the tire. Inflate again to desired pressure and you're good to go.

/ Advice on putting a tube in a tubeless front tire. #7  
Fronts on our chore - feeding cattle tractor - are labeled tubeless, made be used with tubes.

/ Advice on putting a tube in a tubeless front tire. #8  
There are sealant you can put on the tire to help against leaks along the rim, might be cheaper and easier to do.