Buying Advice Advice on used Massey 1742

/ Advice on used Massey 1742 #1  

riverpro

Bronze Member
Tractor
none
So I've been shopping for a tractor around the time Cabelas was getting out of the game and came close at a cabbed 55hp and decided against the purchase on the advice a farmer friend. I currently have my fathers JD 110 TLB at my disposal as he keeps it in my pole shed so no real big hurry until I find the right unit. My local CL has a seller of a 2015 Massey 1742 cabbed hydro with 26hrs on the meter. It's listed for 33.5K with a hair over a year on the warranty. I've found the same tractor new one state over (2018) for 33.9K. The used tractor has not even seen a regen yet and includes a blower with a value of maybe 3K I'd guess. I should mention this tractor has a DL120 loader on it also with quick attach. Just want to hear all and any input/info/experiences with this tractor anybody may have. MF is not brand I've done much research on at all. I do know it has the Mitsubishi 3 cylinder. The seller states he's selling it for inlaws and price is XXX or best offer, so price sounds negotiable, I'd hope anyway. Thanks in advance for anything anyone might know about this tractor.

/ Advice on used Massey 1742 #2  
So I've been shopping for a tractor around the time Cabelas was getting out of the game and came close at a cabbed 55hp and decided against the purchase on the advice a farmer friend. I currently have my fathers JD 110 TLB at my disposal as he keeps it in my pole shed so no real big hurry until I find the right unit. My local CL has a seller of a 2015 Massey 1742 cabbed hydro with 26hrs on the meter. It's listed for 33.5K with a hair over a year on the warranty. I've found the same tractor new one state over (2018) for 33.9K. The used tractor has not even seen a regen yet and includes a blower with a value of maybe 3K I'd guess. I should mention this tractor has a DL120 loader on it also with quick attach. Just want to hear all and any input/info/experiences with this tractor anybody may have. MF is not brand I've done much research on at all. I do know it has the Mitsubishi 3 cylinder. The seller states he's selling it for inlaws and price is XXX or best offer, so price sounds negotiable, I'd hope anyway. Thanks in advance for anything anyone might know about this tractor.

I don't know that model specifically, but always glad to "kick the tires" on a prospective purchase. What does you farming friend say about it?It sounds like you figure he steered you OK on the other tractor. I'd say that Massey is one of the better known tractor brands in the world. Definitely a top tier company. I've driven them around the lot, but never owned one.

I remember when we were looking for our last tractor purchase my wife and II always enjoyed time at the Massey dealer because their tractors were finished so well and just seemed to fit better than other brands. Lots of room on the working platform and yet everything at hand. I wouldn't have minded ending up with one.

Several neighbors have Masseys about that size as their "chore tractors". I've noticed over the years that their other tractors come and go, but their old 40 hp Massey with the loader seems to always be there. You can't ask for much better credentials than that in farming country.

At 26 hours I'd call it new, not used at all. It still isn't broken in. From the specs it seems to have some weight to it, and at the dealer I've run others with that engine and like it. The weight, engine, and transmission all seem to combine to be roughly similar to the JD110 you have there, so you already know if it is in the right power range. Is that enough power for your use? I believe that there are several choices of loader in the 1700 series and that the DL120 is one of the lighter ones. Is that the same loader as being offered on the new 1742? I wonder what the difference is in the various DL120, 130, 135 series loaders. Is it hydraulics or structural, or both?

Wish I was looking for another tractor; that one seems priced reasonable for what it is, and would be on my list for a look-see. My guess is if it has DPF, it was probably manufactured in the same model run as the 1742s being sold as new today.

Some downsides for me would be that without a warranty I'd be knocking off another $3K from their asking price at least. I"m guessing that you mean it comes with a snow blower. Is that an implement that you would find a use for? If not, it doesn't matter how much it is worth if you can't use it.
rScotty

/ Advice on used Massey 1742 #3  
I have a Massey 1758 that has given me good service. Does what I ask, no breakdowns. I am approaching 100 hours on it.

I bought it after owning a Massey GC1710 SCUT that was and is a real workhorse-- same thing-- does a lot of work with no problems.

/ Advice on used Massey 1742 #4  
I too have been in the process of looking for a new tractor (my first). I am currently looking at the MF 2706e but first looked at the new MF 1700M series. I was quoted $29k for a new 1740M cabed model with the power shuttle. The 1740M is the replacement for the 1742, the only difference I can tell is the Shubura non-dpf motor instead of the Mitsubishi motor with a DPF. I would shop around your local MF dealers and see what they can do for you plus you will have a full warranty with it.

/ Advice on used Massey 1742 #5  
I purchased a 2017 1742 late last winter. Took about five minutes in the seat to clinch the deal. Didn't even run it, just felt right. Does everything needed and puts a smile on my face evey chance I get to use it. Had a seven ft blower included in the deal, all said and done $ 46 k Cdn. Maintain a half mile gravel drive, using a hyd angle blade, six ft home built land plane and the blower. Mowing chores are done with a five ft bush hog and 65 inch verge mower. I've built a QA fork set for the loader. Added a diverter valve to the rear hydraulics to act as a third function. Currently has 129 hrs. Regen doesn't seeem to be an issue, keep the rpm up during operation. Only fault so far was a starting problem when cold, -25c. Turns out even with the block heater plugged in, it didn't want to start. When I give a boost from another battery, lights right up. Problem solved with a battery blanket, just turned over a tad too slow with the reduced batt capacity due to the cold. Happy camper.

/ Advice on used Massey 1742 #6  
For that price get the new 1740M hydro cab. You won't get what they call the deluxe cab for that price but you can the normal cab. I have the 1735M hydro Cab and love it. My thinking is if you can get a brand new tractor with updates, and engine with no DPF, why pay the same for an older model? Edit: you also get the DL 125 loader, not sure of the difference though.

/ Advice on used Massey 1742 #7  
Solid advice on the 1740m. New tractor, full warranty, same money. Cab will still have ac, heat and wipers.

/ Advice on used Massey 1742 #8  
I would get the new one since they fmdont have DPF or regens. New ones have only a DOC. Plus, the new M deluxe cab models are very nice.