After market seal kits for Kubota cylinders?

/ After market seal kits for Kubota cylinders? #1  

joea99

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B21, JD 240GT
Developed a small leak on BH stabilizer cylinder. Not bad, but makes a mess when parked and collects dirt.

Then I went to order a seal kit, expecting the price to be close to when I looked last year. My word. Gracious me. Land sake, etc. It looks like the price has at least doubled, maybe 4x higher, at almost $100.

So, looking for reliable after market sources for compatible seal kits.

/ After market seal kits for Kubota cylinders? #2  
You can either measure it yourself or take it to a hydraulic shop and they'll have aftermarket seals. There was just this thread on seal prices for a small power steering cylinder. Seal prices seem to be going through the roof.

/ After market seal kits for Kubota cylinders?
Could be I went off prematurely. I found the invoice for the last seal kit I ordered and compared it to current price. it's a little over 10% increase, so, maybe I was wrong.

Not having much success finding after market kits and searching out seals one by one with the cylinder on the bench seems not worth the aggravation.

Jokes on me. Seems it is not in stock. Some sites say discontinued. Maybe I'll end up on a one by one hunt anyway.

/ After market seal kits for Kubota cylinders? #5  
Could be I went off prematurely. I found the invoice for the last seal kit I ordered and compared it to current price. it's a little over 10% increase, so, maybe I was wrong.

Not having much success finding after market kits and searching out seals one by one with the cylinder on the bench seems not worth the aggravation.
You have to take it apart so they can measure it. I'm for sure you aren't having any luck finding a kit. They measure it and that is where your kit comes from.

/ After market seal kits for Kubota cylinders? #6  
Took my cylinder to a local hydraulic shop after disassembly and cleaning. $30 for the all the seals and such. They measured the parts to figure out what was needed.

/ After market seal kits for Kubota cylinders? #7  
I just resealed a cylinder from a la524 loader with generic parts from the local shop for $40.

Took my cylinder to a local hydraulic shop after disassembly and cleaning. $30 for the all the seals and such. They measured the parts to figure out what was needed.

I just resealed a cylinder from a la524 loader with generic parts from the local shop for $40.

Did you take the cylinder and ram or just the ram/piston/cap?

The local shop said they just shipped them to a shop near Albany that specialized in cylinders rebuilds. Takes over a week normally. Figure they would not have any seals if they don't work on them there. So I bit the bullet and redid the seals myself. Working great so far.

After the Holiday I can check with the other shop to see if they will sell me seals.

/ After market seal kits for Kubota cylinders? #9  
Yes, exactly what I do. But these people are stuck in the line of thought, aftermarket seal kit. There are no kits, except at a dealer. You and I find a guy with a pile of parts and he matches them up.

Yes, exactly what I do. But these people are stuck in the line of thought, aftermarket seal kit. There are no kits, except at a dealer. You and I find a guy with a pile of parts and he matches them up.

"these people"? For the sake of civility, I'll just leave it at that.

Fact is, I have found after market seal kits offered online. Never for my machine it's true, but often for JD, Case, MF and like that. It makes sense for them to do that for higher volume units if you stop to think about it.

Another fact is, before I first put my hand to rebuilding my own cylinders, I searched out the local shops and they all told me the same thing. "We send them out, don't stock seals, try the dealer". So "your way" does not work for everyone.

Further, as someone relatively new to cylinder rebuilds, having a "kit" or "exact substitute" parts is a lot more desirable than trusting someone trying to match up worn out parts to new and hearing "it should work fine".