aftermarket replacement for Stihl chain? (71 PM3 64 Drive Links)

/ aftermarket replacement for Stihl chain? (71 PM3 64 Drive Links)
What saw model you have with this micro 1/4"? Only the very small gas saws and battery saws I know of use it.
I know on the 150 you would NOT want to move up to 3/8LP like mentioned above. It uses MICRO 1/4" for a reason.
Don't even know how it would handle full size 1/4". Might check to see if that would work or not.

The Stihl has buckets of power and a larger CC engine than our Echo's have and they use larger pitch chains. (a down side is it weights more) We knew that the Kombi has more HP and hope to run the .180 string heads which takes serious power to spin. Sawing wood takes less HP than spinning these large string.

/ aftermarket replacement for Stihl chain? (71 PM3 64 Drive Links) #22  
I converted my Stihl 180c from the Micro to standard bar and chain with no problem;all parts from the local dealer.

Thats different then the 1/4" micro. The 180 comes with 3/8LP micro 043. I do the same thing on those. Horrible chains for the 170 180. I take them to 050 3/8LP.

Last edited:
My locale business who's got me chains for all my saws at great prices (all Oregon chains) in the past, has finally found me these mini stihl chains made by Tri-link. For $22!!! Oh well, seems I'll keep using my $18 ones..... :p

/ aftermarket replacement for Stihl chain? (71 PM3 64 Drive Links) #24  
Its the Kombi system saw head. Stihl claims you can swtich to multiple bar and chain combinations on it. As stated earlier, we ordered the 3/8 pitch months ago and not seen the parts yet. Looks like lake snow is kicking in here, so any more trail work will be curtailed.

That sure looks like a big log to tackle with a pole saw. I sharpen a lot of chains with my 18" saw, but since my pole saw has a tiny chain and I don't have files for it, I only use it on higher limbs. Keeping it up high away from the ground seems to let the chains last longer between sharpenings.

That sure looks like a big log to tackle with a pole saw. I sharpen a lot of chains with my 18" saw, but since my pole saw has a tiny chain and I don't have files for it, I only use it on higher limbs. Keeping it up high away from the ground seems to let the chains last longer between sharpenings.

We do this professionally and all these mini chains that have broke, did so when pinched. In this business, we pinch them often. :laughing: And for the past 15+ years we've used Echo's that use a larger pitch chains and we generally wore them out. Rarely did they break and this is why we were trying to go to a larger pitch, which stihl says we can do. But the parts can not be had at this time.. :mad: