Tires AG versus Industrial Tires

/ AG versus Industrial Tires #1  

Anonymous Poster

I'm new to tractors. My last "property" was 50 FEET by 150 FEET and, well...my old push mower is a little over welmed by my current 60 acres. I'm buying a 4520 Branson and intend to use it to: A) tear out 4000 feet of old barbwire/rotten woodenpost fence, B) maintain about a mile of road/trails that go through the woods so I can get to the different fields, C) plow/till/plant and make hay out of 20 acres, D) maintain a 6 acre horse pasture, E) trench about 300 feet to put water into the horse barn, F) anything I can use it to do that makes my life easier. I'm going to get a FEL and a Back Hoe. Oh, my wife wants a pond....someday. Should I get AG or Industrial tires? and why? Sorry, almost forgot... my property is a split between sandy loam (very dry) and wet muck (always wet do to the springs). Any advice is welome.
Cheers,
Brad

/ AG versus Industrial Tires #2  
If you are not going to use the tractor on or for lawn use. The R-1 ag tires will be fine. If it will see service on turf or your lawn and don't want the turf damage. The R-4 industrial tires are a good compromise between R-1 Ag tires and turf tires. Get the six ply tires, they are more puncture resitant. I went with R-4's and they work well on my lawn and pasture as well as tough spots.

/ AG versus Industrial Tires #3  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( sandy loam (very dry) and wet muck (always wet do to the springs) )</font>
4WD will be your biggest help. If more traction is what you need, AGs are the way to go. If you want some floatation and less ground damage, R4s would be better. Either way, I would load them.
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( plow/till/plant and make hay out of 20 acres)</font>
I know this wasn't your main question, but this is a bigger concern. From everything I have learned, CUTs don't have the weight or power to handle balers. Everytime I brought it up in my search, dealers were steering me towards utility tractors in the 2.5-3ton and 50+hp range. Others may want to chime in.....
Mark

/ AG versus Industrial Tires #4  
I've never used r-4s but there are plenty of people who have who don't like them. Do a search on tbynet and you'll see. R-1s have outstanding traction--that I know. Not knowing your exact situation, I would point out that the 4520 is heavy for a lawn, especially with a loader and a hoe, and that you'd be better off getting a small lawn tractor for mowing. IMHO, you'll get the worst of both worlds with r-4's--they can still tear up a lawn with a tractor of this weight, but they won't be all that great in the mud.

/ AG versus Industrial Tires #5  
<font color="blue">…plow/till/plant and make hay out of 20 acres…
…wet muck…</font>

AG’s, AG’s, AG’s… /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Primary advantage, TRACTION, TRACTION, TRACTION, lowest replacement cost, general purpose tire, - disadvantage not gentle on “turf”
(when is the last time you’ve ever seen a farmer do “anything” in his field with industrial tires? /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif)

The Industrial tires load/clog up with muck, are not self cleaning as AG’s… primary advantage of Industrial tires are STRENGTH… mainly for loader work, handle hefty loads (sidewalls won’t collapse), also the most puncture resistant of the three main classes (only if you buy the 8 multi-ply & up) (Notice construction vehicles use 10-16 ply)

/ AG versus Industrial Tires #6  
For your requirements AG,s are the way to go. I have been doing a lot of loader work with my Century 3045 and the R4's work fine. My tires are not loaded and I have been in a few circumstances where I had to lock the axles-backing uphill in mud with a heavy load in the bucket- but always got out no problem.
Pacesetter