Ages????

/ Ages???? #1  

Kubota-monkey

Silver Member
Tractor
L35 with bt900 backoe and box scraper + grader blade
Lets get a tally here of just how many persons in this forum are under the age of 18...

The Ben from MA /w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Kubota-monkey on 1/7/01 01:54 PM.</FONT></P>

/ Ages???? #2  
Not me - just about to hit 41 next month (and my wife is buying me a Harley Davidson to celebrate! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif Wanted one for 20 years, now she says "life is for the living, do what your heart says" Just a Sportster, the "Girls bike" of the Harley line, but a Harley just the same.

/ Ages????
The Sportster is a great looking bike. I have seen quite a few of those around these parts. I live in some pretty serious harley country here /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

The Ben from MA /w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif

/ Ages???? #4  
Paul,
Your wife has a good out look on life.
"Girls bike"nope..wrong..no way..etc...for I feel if your comfortable and enjoy the item its have the fun...just like our tractors. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Thomas..NH /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Ages???? #5  
When I was 17, a long ,long, long time ago, I was doing my very best to get away from tractors/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif
Thomas and Paul, Remember the old Sportsters. We used to say that if you weren't a motorcycle mechanic when you bought one, you would be one by the time you got rid of it. In 1968, a friend of mine bought a 57 Sportster. I think he spent 1/3 of the time riding it, 1/3 of the time pushing it, and 1/3 of the time wrenching on it./w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif
Now, I hear Sportsters are as dependable as any, and I actually own a tractor. The times they do change.

Ernie
"You can plainly see that the Alamo was never built by a military people for a fortress."
Green Jameson, Jan 1836 (in a letter to Sam Houston)

/ Ages???? #6  
ErnieB, have you ever seen some of these big "get togethers" of motorcycle riders? The Harley owners show up with theirs in a pickup or on a trailer (or their wife following in the pickup); the Honda riders show up on their bikes without the backup transportation./w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif Harley-Davidson even threatened to sue me because I wouldn't buy their bikes for the police department quite a few years ago (but declined my invitation to have at it); however, I've heard unsubstantiated rumors that they may actually be building something that'll do more than make a deep throated rumbling noise from the exhaust in recent times./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif When I had my Aspencade, I could stop and pick up a 12 pack of beer to put in each saddlebag to carry home. My cousin tried that on his Harley (once only). The vibration popped the tops on every one of them before he got home./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Bird

/ Ages???? #7  
Bird, The only "get togethers" I saw, involved a group that I think is still around, and I'm pretty sure you know who they are. I usually tried to avoid those "get togethers".
There are some folks on here who list motorcycles among their hobby/interests, they would know better than me, but I've been told the Evolution engine Harley now uses is vastly superior to the older twin V's. I know a couple of people who own the newer model Sportsters, and all say they haven't had any problems with them. My guess is the vibration is still with them.

Ernie
"You can plainly see that the Alamo was never built by a military people for a fortress."
Green Jameson, Jan 1836 (in a letter to Sam Houston)

/ Ages???? #8  
ERNIEB,
Sure do remember those old Sportsters of the 60's,w/ the control shifting on the right side./w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif
Maybe thats where the Willy the Wrench & Mickey Mechanic names started. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Ages???? #9  
Bird,
Have to agree about the noise and the vibration.
I had 64 Sportster..80fx..and still have 60 wide glide w/ the side shift.
I'm sure I'll get slack for this part,but now my main ride is Honda 1100 Ace shaft drive...Now when I get off of my back and butt doesn't hurt and I can hear and no more leg cramps riding thru the mountains. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

DFB every get those leg cramps riding thru the mountains. /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

Heard story about you folks riding your bikes in the Texas sun,than all of a sudden drift off the road....yikes.

Didn't your department have a lowest bid policy on new bikes.

/ Ages???? #10  
ErnieB, I've heard good things about the evolution engine, but the only one I've actually had any experience with was the first or second year when they came out with that name. A dealer wanted us to "test" one for awhile, and engine seized up within a week. Of course, that's been a few years back.

My own bikes were a Yamaha, 3 Hondas, and one BMW, but haven't had one since '88. With the big Honda and with the BMW, I've made trips of over 800 miles in a day with no more, if as much, fatigue than driving a car, but guess my bike days are over. I just renewed my drivers license and dropped the motorcycle endorsement.

And Thomas, we had a low bid "that meets specs" policy. Harley didn't meet specs, but submitted a bid anyway and thought they could bluff.

Bird