agrisupply truck freight for "small" implement

/ agrisupply truck freight for "small" implement #1  

orangetree

Silver Member
Tractor
kioti ck2610
Looking to buy a subsoiler w/ pipe-laying attachment. I will only use it very lightly, and don't need to go deep - so was planning on buying from AgriSupply PIPELAYER F/ASC 73410A + 3PT SUBSOILER RIPPER 1 totaling ~$325.

They want $450 to ship it to a major metro in Idaho?? (I would pick it up at the depot) That's as much or more than I paid to ship each of my pto-chipper, sawmill, and snowblower (all massively larger and heavier).

Has truck ship gone nuts lately (Yellow bankruptcy, etc)? Or is this a normal price for AgriSupply?

/ agrisupply truck freight for "small" implement #2  
This may or may not make sense, but if you need a shallow sub-soiler, how about using a box blade? You can lower the shank or shanks as needed, but then you also have another implement for moving dirt and/or road/path repair, etc. Like Alton Brown, I don't care for uni-taskers. Seems if you have a rare or light use item, maybe borrow or rent?

Not sure where Agrisupply ships from. Usually, distance matters, but also population. More trucks traveling to your area would potentially lower prices. I saw a Messicks video about their freight and they build $150 shipping cost into their prices for those east of Mississippi River. (If you pick it up in store you get ($150 off) Another upcharge for those of us in the center of US (except ND is priced with West). Every state west of Kansas is an even higher price. Need more of those businesses in Kansas or Nebraska.

/ agrisupply truck freight for "small" implement #3  
Agri Supply uses R&L carriers and the are about the lowest price of any of them and freight rates have went up with the cost of diesel and inflation, has zilch to do with YRC. I've purchased a number of truck freight items from them in the past, no issue and finally, they will ship from whatever store has the most inventory.

As an aside, I have a Blanket Certificate of Exemption on file with them (as I do with everyone I deal with) so I don't pay sales tax.

/ agrisupply truck freight for "small" implement #4  
I won't deal with Messicks, their shipping cost is way over the top, besides, I can get my tractor parts from my dealer and again, not tax. Bought filters one time from them, never again.

/ agrisupply truck freight for "small" implement
This may or may not make sense, but if you need a shallow sub-soiler, how about using a box blade? You can lower the shank or shanks as needed, but then you also have another implement for moving dirt and/or road/path repair, etc. Like Alton Brown, I don't care for uni-taskers. Seems if you have a rare or light use item, maybe borrow or rent?

Not sure where Agrisupply ships from. Usually, distance matters, but also population. More trucks traveling to your area would potentially lower prices. I saw a Messicks video about their freight and they build $150 shipping cost into their prices for those east of Mississippi River. (If you pick it up in store you get ($150 off) Another upcharge for those of us in the center of US (except ND is priced with West). Every state west of Kansas is an even higher price. Need more of those businesses in Kansas or Nebraska.
I have a blade with sides - basically a nice blade with improved dirt-moving ability - used for some minor re-grading around a property we're developing. And I don't have any driveways, etc, that would really help me justify the functionality of a full box.

That said - I hadn't thought of that. Surely the downforce of the whole box would be substantial compared to a single naked ripper blade - is that material, esp with a small tractor?

And probably most critically - on a typical box, my impression was that you can't make the tines descent more than a handful of inches from the box - how deep can a single blade from the box actually be configured to penetrate?

/ agrisupply truck freight for "small" implement #6  
I have found Agri-Supply to be high on their shipping prices , but their prices in general are very reasonable especially on disc blades and other tillage type parts, so I just plan a day trip and go to one of their stores to pick up what I need, but I am only a little over 100 miles from 1 of their stores.

/ agrisupply truck freight for "small" implement #7  
Here is another thread that discusses how. I would expect you could consistently get 6" of depth, more depending on the specific equipment.