air compressors

/ air compressors #1  

s1120

Veteran Member
Tractor
87 Ingersoll 444, 84 Ingersoll224/'44 GreavlyL/60'sGreavlyL/49 Ford 8N
Well, sense my pole barn is on hold for a few years, I am going to take some of the money from the sale of my house and get an air compressor, and some other tools. The new house will have a 24x24 garage, with a 20amp 110 outlet, and a 220 outlet. I am looking at two compressors that TSC has. One is the Ingersoll-Rand for $499. It’s a 3hp [7.9 peak], single stage. 11.3 cfm, and 90psi. with a 60 gallon tank, and not being one of those oil less compressors.[I will not get one of those. REAL loud!]

Also looking at the Campbell-Hausfeld 60 gal compressor. Same specs as the Ingersoll. For $381.

I know the Ingersoll will be a little better built. I will be using the compressor a lot, but not everyday/all day, like a shop would. What would you all chouse? Any outhers I should look into? I would like to keep it under $500 , but I got some wiggle room in funds. The less I spend on this, the more I get for other toys, er, I mean tools./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif Thanks!

/ air compressors #2  
I think the difference between the 2 compressors is the duty cycle. The Ingersol has a higher duty cycle. Which one I would get would depend on the air tools I plan on using the most. If they require a lot of air (cfm) I would go with the Ingersol, as it will hold up to turning on and off supplying the air flow needed for the high cfm tools.

/ air compressors #3  
In your tools thread you mentioned restoring/repairing tractors and cars ... so I'll throw in my $0.02 worth. As a preface, I have 2 portables ... both 3.5hp 20 gal units (I bought the second when I thought the first had frozen up but it was just a circuit without enough joice).
Forget the 120v single stage compressors and spent an extra $100 to $150 (Sams or Costco) and get a 2 stage compressor. Longer duty cycle, more pressure, more capacity. "Ya gets what ya pays for"!
Myself ... as soon as I finish cleaning up and rigging the shop (I need to pipe in the dust collector and set up all the stationary tools ... I'm going to get compressor # 3 and toss one of the postables out in the barn for those times when a trailer or the ATV has a low tire.

/ air compressors #4  
Check Depot. Mine here has some "Husky" compressors. Don't know if they're any good, but if I read the price right, a 7hp vertical, 240v was $399.00 and a 5hp vertical, 110V was $369.00.

SHF

/ air compressors
All the ones I am looking at are 220 volt. I already played the 110/120 volt compressures game.

I never thought of HD. I will have to take a look. I checked Sears, but all they had was the oilless ones[WAY to loud!] and they were more money.

/ air compressors #6  
I purchased the Ingersoll you refer to about 5 years ago. I have it down in my barn, and I have had no trouble with it at all. Mine is NOT a cast iron compressor, but according to the manual it has a sleve. In any event, it has been fine.

In retrospect, a 2-stage is better, particularly with a cast iron compressor. Home Depot was selling some good ones for about $800.

However, there is no end to this tool game. I sould have bought the bigger compressor, I should have bought the next size up tractor, etc, etc....

Point is that the Ingersoll has done everyting I have asked it to do, and since I am a "weekend warrier", I probably don't need a 2-stage anyways.

Keep the oil changed and the Ingersoll will probably last you many, many years unless you are using it day in and day out .

/ air compressors #7  
Let me throw out a name you might not be familiar with ... Quincy

Quincy Compressors have been around for a very long time.

Call a compressor repair shop, ask them for a recomendation, and I'll bet you he'll mention Quincy.

Depending on where you live, you might find them at Home Depot or a Farm & Home, otherwise you'll have to go thru a dealer.

BTW, I have a 5HP, 60G vertical that I paid $550.00 for a couple of years ago. It's a single stage compressor with a Baldor motor. Excellent compressor.

Here's a link to their website

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.quincycompressor.com/>http://www.quincycompressor.com/</A>

/ air compressors #8  
Yeah, I bought the 5 hp vertical Husky this weekend at HD. The one year no interest no payments deal they had going was the kicker. Anyway, as someone who never had an air compressor before, it's the greatest thing ever. I aired up everything I owned, and then blew grasshoppers out of all my radiators.

Specs: 3 year warranty, 5.7 cfm @ 90 psi. It's quieter than the compressor I have at work, which also requires oil. Subjectively, it looks very well built. Unless someone is going to use a compressor commercially, it should work just fine.

I'm surprised Bird hasn't commented. Bird, you out there?

/ air compressors #9  
Yeah, John, I've been reading this thread, but haven't responded because I don't really want to recommend a specific brand (kind of like telling someone whether to buy a John Deere, New Holland, or Kubota tractor). I've posted my opinion in the past about the type of compressors I think are best and the features I want. I happen to be a little partial to Ingersoll Rand air tools (although there are some other brand I think are just as good), and their air compressors I'm sure are good, but in my personal opinion, a bit overpriced. And Paul mentioned Sears only having the oilless compressors and that may be all a store has in stock, but in their tool catalog they have a much bigger variety, including some high priced commercial models.

Now if you really want to go first class, I'd suggest looking at a Saylor-Beall (but then I don't drive a Rolls Royce either)./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ air compressors #10  
For what its worth, the 2-stage compressors usually will cut off at 175 lbs. and kick back in at 150 lbs. What this means is if you have a 1/2" drive impact, it will do a lot more as for as loosening up rusty and stubborn nuts and bolts a lot easier than a single stage which might only peak at 125-135 lbs. With the higher air pressure, you also have more cubic feet of air stored in the same size tank. This will make blowing off your tractor and other things better.