Tires Air pressure gauge for tractor tires

/ Air pressure gauge for tractor tires #1  

WilliamTO-35

Silver Member
Tractor
1955 Ferguson TO-35
I've ruined more than one tire pressure gauge measuring tires that had RV antifreeze in them, or calcium chloride solution, or Slime sealant in front tires.
If the gauges came apart, at least I could clean them out . Anybody have a suggestion for this problem ? Thanks.

/ Air pressure gauge for tractor tires #2  
The pencil type gauges is what I use for my tractor, RTV and ZTR tires. Only goes to 20 or 24 psi.

/ Air pressure gauge for tractor tires #3  
I've ruined more than one tire pressure gauge measuring tires that had RV antifreeze in them, or calcium chloride solution, or Slime sealant in front tires.
If the gauges came apart, at least I could clean them out . Anybody have a suggestion for this problem ? Thanks.

When I got my machine, my father told me that when I fill the tires with air or check pressure, put the valve stem all the way up and let it sit a while before doing either. Worked fine on one side, no calcium came out, the other side seems like it's gotta be nearly 100% filled, because when I went to check the pressure, calcium came squirting out at me. It's VERY salty, trust me haha.

After I doused my air pressure gauge in calcium, I just thoroughly sprayed it off/out with a garden hose and let it dry in the sun. It still seems pretty accurate, but I only use it for that machine just in case it's a bit off.

/ Air pressure gauge for tractor tires #4  
If your tires are a little under inflated, you'll get fluid coming out the valve even if you get the tires rotated so the valve is up top. I've proved that by mistake more than once. Now I get the stems on top and then jack the tractor up slightly to take the weight off the tire. That lets the tire sag back down and usually gets the valve stem in the air rather than fluid. A quick burst of air into the valve helps clear it too, before checking the pressure. Then I use a low pressure pencil gauge.

/ Air pressure gauge for tractor tires #5  
I just park the tractor on a good solid location and then fill the tires until it looks good. i’m in a climate that usually doesn’t have hard freezing temperature and I use water.

/ Air pressure gauge for tractor tires #7  
I ruined a couple gauges on my first tractor - CaCl filled rears. I've got Rimguard in my new(2009) Kubota and have checked the pressure in the rear tires only ONCE. What I do - drive the tractor out onto the beginning of my driveway. Its hard as ten year old cement. Look at the traction bars on the rear tire - are they JUST making contact with the driveway surface. That is exactly what I want and is a pressure right around 14 to 16 psi. The fronts - I do check with a normal gauge and run at 30 psi.

If you JUST CAN'T RESIST checking the pressure in your rear tires and they are filled - do this. Valve stem at high noon - blow a blast of air INTO the tire and clear all the nasties out of the stem - THEN take your pressure reading. I HAVE NOT damaged a single gauge since using this procedure.

/ Air pressure gauge for tractor tires #8  
You can do the same thing I do on the ATV,,
the ATV pressure is too low for most gauges to measure accurately,, so I just tape measure the circumference.

I had these tires filled by a mobile tire company,

Right%20Rear_zpswiul2rok.jpg

To determine when there was enough air, the guy looked at how many bars touched the concrete.
after he left, I measured the height from the concrete to the top of the rim.

Both tires were identical.
No pressure gauge was ever used,,,

/ Air pressure gauge for tractor tires #9  
I have one of those pencil style gauges for fluid filled tires. I also have a dial type low pressure gauge. What I have not yet found is a low pressure gauge that is OK for fluid filled tires.