Air Pressure Sensors

/ Air Pressure Sensors #1  

Nissan197

Platinum Member
Tractor
Mahindra 3215 4WD
I have replaced three of these sensors on my truck and they are not cheap. These are the sensors that will warn you when your tires are low on air. I guess all new vehicles are now equipped with them. I broke all of the sensors when I was attempting to remove the cap from the air fill on the tire. My truck came with metal caps and they were on tight. The first time I took a pair of pliers and twisted the cap off, but it just twisted the whole nozzle off. The second time I was very carefully using a hacksaw blade to cut around the cap, but went too far and had to replace the nozzle. The third one was the mechanic attempting to take a cap off. He paid for that one. I have since replaced all the caps with plastic. If it happens again I was told they can remove all the sensors and either throw them all in the spare or I can get a small lawnmower type tire and place them in there and throw it under the seat. I wish I had known that at the very beginning and I would have went that route.

I guess Nissan is making some $$$ off these parts. It just amazes me how much things cost. I was thinking a sensor would be around 10 bucks, not 10 times as much.

/ Air Pressure Sensors #2  
I have not heard to many complaints from GM vehicles, usually it is the tire shop that breaks them when removing the tire or mounting. Yep technology is going to be the down fall of us. the more add on's you put the more stuff to go wrong in my opinion. You pay for the little extra things when you buy it new and then you get to pay to fix it latter down the road.

/ Air Pressure Sensors #3  
It's just more safety stuff so we can feel all warm and fuzzy that they are looking out for our well being. Also we don't need to look at our tires anymore since there is a light that tells us when they are low.

I have five of them sensors on my Taco also, I plan to "fix" the lamp when I need to cross that bridge.

/ Air Pressure Sensors #4  
We see lots of problems around here no matter who makes the car or truck. You need to remove the caps and spray some lube on the metal caps or do like you did and replace with plastic. I know on the Ford they now use green caps to identify them and they are plastic. Your problem is the area you live in with salt and stuff.

Chris

/ Air Pressure Sensors #5  
Yeah, they can be a PITA accessory but required if you have run-flat tires. Otherwise there's no way to tell you lost air unless you happen to check them regularly. Try replacing one for a Corvette. :eek: $$$$$$

/ Air Pressure Sensors #6  
I just picked up an "08 Taurus, and it's my first vehicle with them.

You can blame the morons who didn't check their tires and rolled their Ford Explorers for this one. Seems the Gov't just had to step in and mandate them so as to protect the stupid. Manufacturers had no choice in the matter...

It still chaps my behind when I see an SUV tooling down the Interstate, loaded with folks and gear, with one tire holding about 15lbs air.

/ Air Pressure Sensors #7  
I don't have these on any of my current vehicles, but my wife will be buying a new car this year, so I have a question:

It was mentioned that you can just unplug the warning light as a "solution" to this problem. Is there any downside to that? If not, I will probably do that first thing after buying the car.

I've got a troublesome seatbelt warning light on my current car (you set something on the seat and it thinks there's a person there...) that I'd like to unplug, but I'm afraid it might have some effect on the airbag system.

Just curious if there's any reason not to just unplug the warning light.

/ Air Pressure Sensors #8  
Just keep the right air pressure in the tires and you will have no problems. If the car she is buying is new I would not do anything at all to it until its out of warranty.

As for the air bag light on the passengers seat. I believe if it senses weight but less than around 50 pounds it deactivates the air bag. If its over 50 pounds it activates the air bag. The reason is a air bag can do more harm than good to children.

Chris

/ Air Pressure Sensors #9  
I don't need or want the help of these sensors, and particularly, don't want another gimmick to have to fix when they get screwed up. That's why I will attempt to disconnect the system at the first opportunity (if possible).

/ Air Pressure Sensors #10  
Depends on the system with the airbags, for instance my 08 Tacoma I can deactivate the drivers side warning buzzer and blinking man through the computer and unplugging the seat belt buckle but the passenger one is a little different, if I try the same plugs with the passenger side I get the airbag light for the driver side. So I have to utilize the redneck method (elec tape) to keep the passenger side bliking man from diving me nuts.
I only have to utilize this method once a year.

The instrument cluster lights on these new vehicles are leds and would require desoldering to get rid of the light.