Air Rifle Any hope for accuracy?

/ Air Rifle Any hope for accuracy? #13  
Loose the scope. Add peeps, work on you!

Air guns are ridiculously accurate. I've got a half dozen of 'em, and can never fault the rifle. Clover leaf at 25-50 yards.

I like the CO2 guns the most.

/ Air Rifle Any hope for accuracy? #14  
With cheap scopes, repeat eye position is almost imperative.
They even have a word for it ,,, "parallax"

I looked up the old movie, The Parallax View. It has to do with an assassination so there must be a scope involved. I'd have never guessed. The Parallax View (1974) - IMDb

/ Air Rifle Any hope for accuracy? #15  
Good stuff milkman. I never thought of that, always tried for a solid and consistent hold. Will have to experiment some now. I wonder how much affect different weight pellets will have with an artillery hold.

/ Air Rifle Any hope for accuracy? #16  
Parallax is an issue where the image formed by the scope's lenses and the cross hairs are not in the same plane inside the scope. So when you move your eye they appear to move in relation to one another. As mentioned up thread, some scopes have an adjustment to correct this at different distances.

Set the rifle, or just the scope, on a solid rest and look at the target. Move your eye around a little. Do the cross hairs appear to move in relation to the aim point? If so there's a parallax problem at that distance. On a low magnification scope it might be hard to detect any movement.

On good rifle scopes there is often an adjustment knob on the side that's marked with different ranges while some adjust be rotating a ring on the objective lens.

/ Air Rifle Any hope for accuracy? #17  
I've got a pretty nice Leapers UTG 3-12x40 AO Hunter Rifle Scope mounted on my cheap ($100) Crosman Vantage. The scope is supposed to hold up well to springer air rifles but the reticle started moving after about 500 pellets. Leapers has a lifetime warranty on their scopes and replaced it after I returned the original. They will replace the new one if it does the same thing. The Vantage uses a gas spring.

Kevin

/ Air Rifle Any hope for accuracy? #18  
I have been trying to site in a cheapie Beeman Air rifle with Beeman scope.

The think has a crazy hard trigger pull making this almost impossible. Curious if any one knows anything about reducing the trigger pull.

Also, something I have always wondered. How critical is the eye position to the scope? Not relief, but side to side. I mean, there is surly an optimum position. but it's almost impossible to determine, and I wonder if this affects sighting, or is it a case of as long as the cross hairs are on target, it doesn't matter.
Thanks.
I have one of those rifles and I cant get the scope to adjust to the point of impact
AND the trigger is so hard to pull that it is actually uncomfortable on the finger. I asked a gunsmith about trying to reduce it and he said it couldn't be done. They are a real piece of crap as far as accuracy goes.

/ Air Rifle Any hope for accuracy? #20  
Look at some videos here and do a lot of reading, I have a Beeman .22 and an upgraded scope, and use it to shoot turtle heads in the pond.

artillery hold technique - Google Search
Thanks milkman... I didn't know about the artillery hold. Good stuff. :thumbsup: No judging here but why do you shoot turtles? I have a liking for them but then I am not from around your neck of your woods!