AK-47

/ AK-47 #1  

murphy1244

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota 1120 RTV Kioti DK-40, MF-135, Ventrac 4500Y
Any one buy a Century AK-47? Am interested in #12245-N.

/ AK-47 #3  
Has any one even heard of Century Arms? Century Arms

Oh, yes, I just don't know anything about that particular product. You know me, I would comment if I had anything to add that would help, but, I really don't. Sorry.

/ AK-47
Oh, yes, I just don't know anything about that particular product. You know me, I would comment if I had anything to add that would help, but, I really don't. Sorry.

Thanks for responding James. I know its not a well known brand but I didn't think it was this unknown.

/ AK-47 #5  
Here is Hickock 45's take on these Century's.

/ AK-47
Free guns Free ammo and a nice range. Life is good. Thanks for the link.
This is the link to the gun itself Century Arms

Last edited:
   / AK-47 #7  
Has any one even heard of Century Arms? Century Arms

Oh yea, they've been around a while. I don't have any of their stuff but I think they are regarded pretty fair ... no where as bad as Enterprise.

The most I know about them is in regards to the CETME. It used to be that all kits coming into the US were all surplus and were refinished. PTR (now in South Carolina) bought original H&K tooling and started making the PTR-91 with all new US made parts. Century now get quite a few of their parts for their CETME's from PTR and the rest are refinished surplus parts which allows them to offer a rifle cheaper than PTR.

They've been an importer for a long time though. I'm sure you will find enough stories on the gun forums to form your own opinion.

/ AK-47 #8  
I had a buddy in the early 90's who had both a century Arms M14 semi auto rifle and a Springfield Armory M1A1. We read an article in one of the gun magazines about them shooting several hundred rounds and the Century locking up....so we desided to do a comparison test between the two rifles since they are essentially the same design weapon. Neither locked up but the Century wasn't even close in Fit, function and accuracy to the Springfield. We ran out of ammo after putting about 300 rnds thru each rifle. We also shot about 600 rnds thru my SKS and it did lock up....It also had crappy Chinese cosmalean oozing out of the stock. I don't know what they want for them these days, but my experience was that they threw rounds downrange....Now, neither of them was an AK so I guess I don't know much about your particular weapon....I would imagine that it also throws rounds downrange. I have never known an AK to be renowned for it's accuracy, just it's reliability.

/ AK-47 #9  
I've got several Century-imported bolt guns, and I have one of the Century-built Cetme rifles in .308. At that time, Century was somewhat known for poor workmanship, particularly on the Cetmes that they were turning out. I bought mine used at a local gun store, and the only thing that I knew about it was that it was a fraction the price of an H&K 91 which I wanted desperately.

After tinkering around with it for sometime, discovered that the bolt had been ground to achieve "proper" bolt gap, I ended up having to get a new bolt, locking piece, rollers, etc. After that, my bolt gap was still wrong, so I eventually sent it to a gunsmith that was familiar with the platform and had the barrel re-pressed. He also fixed a couple of other minor things with it.

That was many years ago, and my total investment in it is only around $600 (and I was lucky enough to get a box full of magazines when they were for sale for 99 cents apiece). Since the repairs, it has run flawlessly - the biggest problem is that I can't afford to feed it.

Having said all of that, I don't know anything about their AKs, only their history of suspect quality control. If you're after a good AK, you might have a look at whatever Saiga rifles are available. When I picked mine up, they were regarded as "true" Kalashnikovs because they were made in the Izhmash factory. I think that they are no longer imported that way, and that maybe the receiver (and maybe other parts) are made in the USA for compliance sake. I'm on my work computer right now and all gun sights are blocked, so I can't check.

Good luck with whatever you end up with and take care.

/ AK-47 #10  
Century Arms C39 V2 's are new, 100% American made rifles. Fit and finish is very nice. Metal and wood is nice and smooth with no milling marks and an even blueing on all the metal. I had one of those AK's assembled out of imported junk parts back when the ban was on and that's all there was. Paid $350 for the pos. Couldn't hit the broadside of a barn with it even if you threw it at the wall. The C39 V2 is a very nice AK variant and as accurate as any good AK based gun can be. At least mine is. My :2cents: