Alabamyans watch out!.

/ Alabamyans watch out!. #2  
I was just reading that article, scare stuff if you are allergic to them. Even if you are not, finding a hive with that many and that big would make anyone pucker.

/ Alabamyans watch out!. #4  
When does one know that the nest youve found is supersized and not extralarge.
At least at Wendys they have the cups out for comparison.
Seriously though it is a big nest.

/ Alabamyans watch out!.
I wouldn't even want to get stung by yellowjackets in a small nest.. each one can sting a number of times, they are not like a bee, which can only sting once, since must of their backend gets left on you to pump the venom out, then the bee dies!.. bees know this, and unless they are killer bees, they won't bother you.. my neigbor had his house infested with yellowjackets, and they tried to do the same at my house..

/ Alabamyans watch out!. #6  
I don't feel it has anything to do with Alabama. Yellow Jackets don't care.

FWIW Yellow jackets differ from honey bees in that, like ground bees, nearly the entire hive population dies off in the fall and winter. The egg laying matriarch survives, and might keep a helper or two on hand to help with the house keeping chores. BUT, when spring comes, her eggs hatch out and the colony repopulates. If conditions are good, and the old gal is full on laying down the eggs, the colony grows quickly. Population spikes! Nests get big. But it has nothing to do with Alabama.

I dislike yellow jackets and appreciate bees. Both have jobs to do, but yellow jackets can gang up on someone considered hostile.

Stay away!

/ Alabamyans watch out!.
I don't feel it has anything to do with Alabama. Yellow Jackets don't care.

FWIW Yellow jackets differ from honey bees in that, like ground bees, nearly the entire hive population dies off in the fall and winter. The egg laying matriarch survives, and might keep a helper or two on hand to help with the house keeping chores. BUT, when spring comes, her eggs hatch out and the colony repopulates. If conditions are good, and the old gal is full on laying down the eggs, the colony grows quickly. Population spikes! Nests get big. But it has nothing to do with Alabama.

I dislike yellow jackets and appreciate bees. Both have jobs to do, but yellow jackets can gang up on someone considered hostile.

Stay away!
but it DOES have to do with Alabama, THAT is where these super nests were being found!!..

/ Alabamyans watch out!. #9  
I saw one headline that was blaming large nests on climate change...what some clowns will stoop to...!

Large nests have been around as long as the insects themselves...!

huge yellow jacket nest in car - Google Search

I have lived for 71 years in Mississippi, then Alabama in mostly rural areas and I have never seen nests like this. If you will bother to read about yellow jackets you will find out that only the queen can survive cold weather. Normally cold weather kills off most of them except the queen and she has to start a new colony the next spring. These have apparently survived and thrived through at least one or two winters and the hive grew accordingly. Believe in global warming or not the weather is hotter year round than it has ever been in my lifetime. That's a fact that can't be disputed.

/ Alabamyans watch out!. #10  
Occasionally see nests around on my buildings, but when I do I generally chase them off and destroy the nest before it gets anywhere near that large.

Sprayed insecticides and even a garden hose spraying a heavy rain-like mist/spray of water can do wonders..... of course waiting until it's actually raining would probably work as well. While the sprayed water may not kill flying insects, it sure can do wonders to knock them out of the air in order to permit either an escape -- or a good old fashion foot-stomping (or shovel swinging) to squash them in large numbers.

My buildings are to keep me and my stuff dry .... and squatters (of any type) aren't appreciated .....especially when there's a lot of natural habitat around for animals to use instead of my buildings.....