ALIENS HAVE BEEN LIVING IN MY ATTIC

/ ALIENS HAVE BEEN LIVING IN MY ATTIC #1  

escavader

Veteran Member
Tractor
bx-23 ,
Amonth ago we heard something scratching in the attic crawl space.My wife and i went up with flashlights to look around.I removed insulation ,only to discover a small squirrel ,which made him flee and hide somewhere else.The wife said your not going to get him,better set a trap.SO i did,and in the last month ive captured 17 flying squirrels!!Ido have pics ,but dont want to offend any one with them.They are kind of cute ,though ,little slanted eyes,white bellys with alot of flab that makes them glide through the air.They do like peanut butter
Icannot seem to find how they get in,although ive read on the internet they dont need but a crack.
They came quick ,when i first started ,now im only getting one every couple days
Its turned very cold out ,and im wondering if they will move about in the winter or have i caught most?
I do have a few squirrel stains in my kitchen ceiling,i really dont want to repair until they are gone .Idid move alot of insulation up there about,tonight ,but didnt stir any up.I did have one in my live trap tonight ,the first in 3 or 4 days.
Id appreciate advice from any one whos delt with this
ALAN

/ ALIENS HAVE BEEN LIVING IN MY ATTIC #2  
My experience with critters in teh attic is that you have to seal up the holes they are getting in there with metal. If you replace or cover up the wood, they just chew through it until they can bet back in. For most holes, Iv'e found double cover plates for elextrical outlets work well. Not hte nice looking ones, but the heavy duty, never to be seen type that are pretty thick gauge metal. Screw them in over the hole and paint to match the house. Problem solved.

As for catching them and what to do with them, it sounds like you have that figured out already.

Congrats and good luck,
Eddie

/ ALIENS HAVE BEEN LIVING IN MY ATTIC #3  
I agree with Eddie that you need to cover any holes/gaps with some sort of metal. I discovered that the flying squirrels invading my attic where entering through gaps between the fascia and roof decking. I used hardware cloth to cover the gaps and solved my problem.

Steve

/ ALIENS HAVE BEEN LIVING IN MY ATTIC #4  
They follow the smell. If you don't eradicate the smell also, they will continue to work on gaining entrance.