All-time best Cub Cadet mower in the 38"-42" deck range ??

/ All-time best Cub Cadet mower in the 38"-42" deck range ?? #1  

Jack Vines

Bronze Member
I loved my 2135 and turns out, it was just about perfect for my yard. I tried a Toro 42" zero turn and it just flat won't handle hills and slopes, so I'm on the hunt for another Cub tractor. If you were looking in that deck size range with a bagger, what models would you choose?

jack vines

/ All-time best Cub Cadet mower in the 38"-42" deck range ?? #2  
I loved my 2135 and turns out, it was just about perfect for my yard. I tried a Toro 42" zero turn and it just flat won't handle hills and slopes, so I'm on the hunt for another Cub tractor. If you were looking in that deck size range with a bagger, what models would you choose?

jack vines

I owned Cub products for many years. Still have a 2084 Cub which I mow with. But sad to say the quality of Cub products dropped and forced me to the "Green" family. My primary mower is a Green X495.

/ All-time best Cub Cadet mower in the 38"-42" deck range ?? #3  

jack vines

A used I1042 or II046 zero turn tractor. I bought a used larger version and it us great for hills and slopes, runs smoothly, does nice striping.

/ All-time best Cub Cadet mower in the 38"-42" deck range ??
I'm not seeing any commercial quality riders for sale used here. It seems all the pros have gone to zero turn and thus Cub Cadet and John Deere riders have gone to cheap **** for the big box stores. What are you seeing in your areas?

jack vines

/ All-time best Cub Cadet mower in the 38"-42" deck range ?? #5  
The 2186 is great to mow with, except deck seems to clog easily. Fast, super tight turns, good traction even with no fluid. The 3000 series are good too with pwr steer and better decks
First thing I did on the 2186 GT was bypass the reverse safety switch.

/ All-time best Cub Cadet mower in the 38"-42" deck range ??
I've never, ever seen a 3000-series CC for sale here on craigslist and there hasn't been a 2000-series for sale this summer. Seems no one is using tractor mowers in commercial applications.

As an aside, it makes me dizzy trying to keep straight the million model numbers of CC since they whored out to big box stores. When I see one for sale, I have to do a search and read up and usually it turns out to be one of the homeowner models. Can't go by deck size any more; seems everyone, including CC and JD are putting really wide (48-52") mower decks on cheap machines.

jack vines

/ All-time best Cub Cadet mower in the 38"-42" deck range ?? #7  
I've never, ever seen a 3000-series CC for sale here on craigslist and there hasn't been a 2000-series for sale this summer. Seems no one is using tractor mowers in commercial applications. As an aside, it makes me dizzy trying to keep straight the million model numbers of CC since they whored out to big box stores. When I see one for sale, I have to do a search and read up and usually it turns out to be one of the homeowner models. Can't go by deck size any more; seems everyone, including CC and JD are putting really wide (48-52") mower decks on cheap machines. jack vines
The 3000 series are hard to find. People hang onto them I guess. I found this one for $600 and put some time and addl $150 in it.
Before

image-1138088469.jpg

/ All-time best Cub Cadet mower in the 38"-42" deck range ?? #8  
After

image-942021833.jpg

/ All-time best Cub Cadet mower in the 38"-42" deck range ?? #9  
2182 SGT dual hydraulics, steering brakes , pwr steering, 60" haban deck, 3cyl kabota engine $13k new. Bought $700 & a pistol image-96894731.jpg

/ All-time best Cub Cadet mower in the 38"-42" deck range ?? #10  
image-3832027851.jpg