Alliance 550

/ Alliance 550 #1  

Whitbread

Silver Member
Tractor
Massey 1740M
After selling my new holland 1620 with turfs and front chains, I knew I had to do something on the new to me 1740m that had worn r4's.

After as much research as I could do, I ditched the galaxy r4s for something that should do much better for my uses. If they save me from buying chains for snowblowing duty, they will be worth every penny.

I'll update my impressions once I rack up some hours!
IMG_20220610_135910029_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220610_135926014_HDR.jpg

/ Alliance 550 #3  
Those tires will do very good in snow. They also have steel belts in them, so it is harder to poke things through them than a nylon tire. Not impossible, but harder to do.

Be sure to air them down to get more footprint on the ground for better traction, especially in snow. I am not sure how heavy of load you put on the front, or back, but since you have a FEL, you probably won't be able to air down the fronts much, but the rears you should be able to. Those rears can carry 3880lbs/tire at 12psi and run 19mph doing it. That's 7760lbs on the rear axle.

Those are heavy built tires and should serve you well.
Enjoy.

/ Alliance 550
Those tires will do very good in snow. They also have steel belts in them, so it is harder to poke things through them than a nylon tire. Not impossible, but harder to do.

Be sure to air them down to get more footprint on the ground for better traction, especially in snow. I am not sure how heavy of load you put on the front, or back, but since you have a FEL, you probably won't be able to air down the fronts much, but the rears you should be able to. Those rears can carry 3880lbs/tire at 12psi and run 19mph doing it. That's 7760lbs on the rear axle.

Those are heavy built tires and should serve you well.
Enjoy.
Now that I have about 40 hours on them, I'm blown away with their performance and legitimately don't understand why these aren't the standard "r4" tire option.

I can't wait to see how they do in the winter, i just ordered the factory front blower kit.

With 10psi in the rears, they have a nice little bulge and the contact patch is the full 16.5" tread width. I'm running 50psi in the fronts to keep the sidewall bulge reasonable at full loader capacity.

In 4wd and lowest range, it will stall the 40hp tractor before spinning tires on anything that isn't sugar sand. Even then, it almost kills the engine to get tires to start slipping. With the r4s, I would spin all 4 tires trying to grade my hilly driveway and it barely pulled the motor down.

On grass, they only tear it up if you take a full lock turn with a little speed.
176962.jpg

/ Alliance 550 #5  
I sure wish I could get that tread in a 29x12.5-15 tire for my Toolcat. Keep us posted on your tires!

/ Alliance 550 #7  
I really like these Alliance 550 tires However, one thing concerns me is they are rated to carry more than 9,600 lbs where the factory R4 rears on my TC45DA are only 8 ply and rated for 5360 lbs.

Will that difference matter?

Last edited: