Allis 5040 /Long 445 toplink

/ Allis 5040 /Long 445 toplink #1  

pycoed

Silver Member
Tractor
Zetor 7045; Wheelhorses C121, C101, A8;Cushman Turf truckster
Just thought I'd turn up some 3/4" pins on the lathe to fit a top link to my Long 445 ready to run a bush hog & mower I'm picking up Wednesday night.
Pins are great & fit the top link easy, but cannot get them into the toplink support on the tractor.

There are 4 holes for the toplink pin, but I can't get the pin into any of them:
On the left side, the bend in the draft sensing spring prevents the pin from sliding in & on the right there's a casting that stops a straight push. See drawing attached.

I might just get a pin in from this side in the bottom hole if I grind a bit from the casting, but I don't really want to do that...& it doesn't help the other three hole positions.

A 5/8 pin goes in fine but of course slops about, so how on earth can I get the proper 3/4" pin in place. I'm stumped - Please anyone else with a Long 445 or Allis 5040 tell me how it's done!!

Attachments

• TOPLINK.jpg
    TOPLINK.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 175
   / Allis 5040 /Long 445 toplink #2  
Put a 3/4" pin with a hole drilled through the middle of each end, no longer than necessary, and no head on either end. Into each hole, insert a hair pin cotter, cotter pin, hitch pin or rusty bent nail, or something else that's imaginative!:D

/ Allis 5040 /Long 445 toplink
A mixture of a shorter pin with a flat milled at an angle on the head end did the trick. I was surprised at how small a flat made such a big difference - I suppose that's tapers for you!