Allis Chalmers C proper 12V Battery

/ Allis Chalmers C proper 12V Battery #1  

blucoondawg

Gold Member
Tractor
Kioti DK50SE w/ loader and Woods 90x backhoe, Allis Chalmers C with front snowplow
Anyone with an allis c 12v tell me what size battery they run? I'm gonna start drawing my old girl out of the weeds and fixing on it the battery that's in it isn't the right size it doesn't fit in the battery box worth a crap. It's too tall and narrow. Last time I was at the store I couldn't find one that was a good fit going by dimensions of the battery box

/ Allis Chalmers C proper 12V Battery #2  
The dimensions of the battery are certainly a concern but you should also consider placement of the terminals if your cables are short. Older batteries generally have top terminals but positive and negative may be in reversed locations for a given battery size. For instance a Group 24 battery and a 24F are the same output but terminals are swapped. It used to be a REALLY common size. You can generally get battery size charts off the internet for the more common batteries - and for some of the less common ones. By the way, there are battery stores and stores that sell batteries and they're NOT the same thing.

/ Allis Chalmers C proper 12V Battery #3  
What ever size will fit easily in your battery box and reach your cables.
Your tractor originally was a 6 volt system, with a crank start.
Many of those had impulse magneto ignitions so the electrical system was
marginal and often not used or maintained.
Most any modern battery should easily start that engine even a little 500 CCA unit.

/ Allis Chalmers C proper 12V Battery
Ok, I guess I'm asking what guys who have them use that works well. I don't need an explanation of what the tractor came with it how the magneto system works I'm pretty familiar with that, I just know there the battery that used to be in this tractor for like it was meant to be there, then someone at some point stick this odd thing in it and not or doesn't fit, I figured someone would have a 12v c and tell me what battery they find fits well. Obviously want since that will fit and teach the cables will work. This one that fits for crap works it's just a pain to deal with

/ Allis Chalmers C proper 12V Battery #5  
I have the standard group 24 auto batteries in mine. --- tight fit, my boxes could have been modified, but thats what was in them when I bought the tractors so thats what I use.

/ Allis Chalmers C proper 12V Battery #6  
I can't help either. My CA is now 12V and I have no lid on my battery box because the battery is too tall.