Allow hunting. . . very inclined to say no.

/ Allow hunting. . . very inclined to say no. #1  

beowulf

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3410 HST, J Deere riding mower
We received a very nice letter requesting permission to hunt turkey's on our property with a bow and arrow - he provided references and all. I agreed to meet with him. We met yesterday. Very nice guy - apparently an experienced out-doors guy. I kind of wanted to help him out. I initially indicated that if we did permit it there would be a number of conditions which I listed. He agreed. So, I told him it would be okay but I would require him to sign a waiver and agreement acknowledging the conditions. He agreed. As he left he said he and a friend would also use shotguns at times, and wanted to set up a hunting stand - actually near our pond which is somewhat near the house, and wanted to come by this Sunday. I guess the suddenness of that sort of hit me with reality - we maintain a rather quiet and private existence here - this Sunday would be different! And concerned that this could 'grow' into his making this into a weekend destination-getaway for him and his friends. Easier to not start it up now rather than end it later when issues may arise.

Anyway, despite initially indicating my willigness to allow this with conditions (notifying us in advance, letting us know when he came on and when he left, etc.), I have rethought this. We would at times need to modify how we live to accommodate this. He would hunt on weekends which is when we hike the property, run with the dog, have guests over, take the tractor out to manage back road tasks, and sort of enjoy the peace with the family. There are animals around. I like to go go about anywhere on the property whenever I want to - his hunting and stands would be a hindrance, and not sure I want gun shot noise even if rare. And although my property insurance may not be affected - I don't want to take that chance.

I can think of many reasons not to do this and only one reason to do so, so I guess I am not really asking if I should do this as I am sort of certain I will call him to say, sorry, but no. Just asking for general advice and support for my decision - given that I already told him yes and now need to call him and say no.

/ Allow hunting. . . very inclined to say no. #3  
If you're having second thoughts about it, you've already answered your question.

As for insurance, you've just opened yourself up to all kinds of liabiilties if you don't know who he's 'bringing to the party'. He asked for bow and arrow permssion, than told you he'd switch to shotgun. That would automatically breach and nullify any written agreement that you had with him about hunting with bow and arrow. Even if you did continue to allow it, and you have sufficient property, then no, absolutely NO hunting around the ponds or open areas where your animals and property could be endangered. I would suggest supplying a map to the areas you WOULD permit hunting on, a waiver from any and all liabilities for injury or damages to his person or property, and at least a month's notice prior to his use of your property, or a complete hunting schedule. He's already shown he may not be as reliable as he is nice. I've met folks that butter wouldn't melt in their mouth, but dare not turn my back on them. I TRY to trust people and respect them until they give me reason not to. If they break that trust, that's their problem, not mine.

/ Allow hunting. . . very inclined to say no. #4  
Agree with tymnorsky above....nothing wrong with just telling the hunter that you've changed your mind. I am sure that many owners have declined to allow him to hunt.

I don't let people hunt on my property. Not against hunting; there are many other areas they can hunt in.

/ Allow hunting. . . very inclined to say no. #5  
We own 152 acres in northern Michigan and it's all posted but out neighbors hunt theirs and always call and ask if they can hunt on ours as well and I always say why not. Just don't leave the gut pile for the yotes or your trash laying around that I have to clean up.

Don't bother me. Turkey's and deer and all animals are transient, they don't respect property lines anyway so with us, it's not an issue.

/ Allow hunting. . . very inclined to say no. #6  
Our neighbor has a hunter-his tree stand is not moved and only bow and arrow.
Been there for years and no issues.

Other neighbor had a hunter with stand, was a nightmare-running through our and another neighbors property chasing down deer etc. He is no longer there.

/ Allow hunting. . . very inclined to say no. #7  
Your land/Your rules. How big's your property? You could set up a gun zone/bow zone if big enough & that's what bothers you, hard to justify a letter stating Bow then an aside as he's leaving of "we'll be here with shotguns & construction equipment" if you agreed to bows. "I'd like permission to fish your pond. It's ok? Great! Me and the guys'll be back with dynamite this weekend." I got nothing against guns or hunting, just seems a bit disingenuous to write a letter asking for one thing then wanting to do something else. What did the references say?

/ Allow hunting. . . very inclined to say no. #8  
Going rate for hunting on 150 acres is about $3,000 for the season, around here

My wife and I like the peace and quiet as well. We also like to think of our property as a safe haven. Not just for ourselves and family, but for the wild animals as well.

There are too many deer in Northern Virginia. They starve in the winter. I allow two people to hunt does only (massive oversupply of does vs bucks), and do not charge them anything. No hunting of turkeys, no shooting practice, etc.

A down side of bow/arrow hunting is injury to the animals. I'm not a hunter, but understand that all to frequently the target is made lame, the "hunter" gives up following the injured animal through the woods, and the animal is left to a slow and difficult death.

I think you have your answer, but wanted to chime in with my perception.

/ Allow hunting. . . very inclined to say no. #9  
The "oh and a friend and shotguns and a stand" after you already agreed to conditions should make it an immediate hard no. This guy clearly won't respect boundaries and his friends would be worse.

/ Allow hunting. . . very inclined to say no.
Thanks guys. Sometimes you know - maybe most of the time - you really know the right decision, but nice to have a bit of support. Especially from a trusted site. Appreciate the input. I will make the call.