Almost got my YM135 up and running again.

/ Almost got my YM135 up and running again. #1  

artfull dodger

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 420 garden tractor
Stopped by the mechanics house to check on my YM135. He has the bottom end all back together and will be putting the head back on tomorrow. So far we have put new rod bearings in, new rings, honed both bores, all new gasgets, all new valves, guides and seals, fresh grind on valve seats. Freshly recored radiator will go on tomorrow hopefully. He wants to have it done tomorrow or monday evening as he needs his shop for another project that needs done quick. I cant wait. I still need a new muffler and extension/turnout pipe as the original muffer looks horrible. I am now hunting for a cat 1 plow, and a real small bush hog. Cheers Mike

/ Almost got my YM135 up and running again. #2  
That's great Mike.

With the proper care and maintenance...It should go another 3-4 decades.

We did something similar to my YM1300D and while doing it I thought I'd never get my money back out of it....Then when it was finished (funny) I never considered selling it anyway :).

Mark

/ Almost got my YM135 up and running again.
We will actulay be looking to get a slightly larger Yanmar with a FEL once we get some property and the settlement from the insurance co. I definatly want 4x4 and a FEL. I like the looks of the 1610 but like the sound and harness of the twin cylinder diesels, what were the larger compact 4x4's with the twin cylinder diesel? Just starting my research, probably wont be looking to acutaly purchase till next year. We would be keeping the 135 for smaller duties and mowing. Cheers Mike

/ Almost got my YM135 up and running again. #4  
Mike,

IMHO, The more popular 2 cylinder, 4WD models in that HP range would include:

YM1500D
YM1700D
YM1700BD
YM2000D
Then a large jump into the 25 HP range just has to include the
YM2210D with power shift (like the 1610D you mentioned above).

Mark

/ Almost got my YM135 up and running again. #5  
And one noteworthy difference among the 2 cylinder machines is that some do not have water pumps....so a good clean cooling system is critical. 1500 & 1700 do not have pumps. 2210/2210D is my favorite machine (in terms of value per $) of all the models.

I am on the hunt for a either a used small bush hog or a used finish mower to mount on the 3pt hitch. New is not in the budget till probably next year at the soonest. it can be rusty and dusty as long as its solid and ready to use. Somewhere close to Erie would be great, but we do travel to Indiana several times a year and I will be in West Independance OH in 2 weeks for a garden tractor plowing meet, with my yanmar for that matter. Thanks for the suggestions, I noted them in my note book I carry when tractor hunting. I will be ready once the insurance settles with us and we decide what property we will buy. If its mostly woods with little yard to mow, I may just not get anything else but some more implements for the 135. If there is lots of grass to cut ect, then I will want a more powerfully compact to handle a larger mower deck and a FEL for landscape work. Wonder if anybody ever offered a FEL for the YM135? They do them for large garden tractors, so I dont see why it wouldnt handle it. Also looking for a pair of deep lug ags, 7-14 in size, for the 135. I like the Firestone Farm Lug M tires, but heard from M.E. Miller that they have been discontuned now. They only have 1 left now. I could afford a nice used pair if someone has a pair. Thanks Mike

Bad news on the yanmar, both injetors are messed up, tip is totaly blown off one of them, injector pump is messed up, problems with the injector rack, one cylinder is stuck on full fueling and its the one with the tip blown off the injector. SO now it needs major $$$$$$$ to fix and I have nothing, I cleaned out what savings we had to recore the radiator, with my wife not working, money is beyond super tight, anybody got a cheap used working injector pump and a pair of used injectors for a YM135????? I was depressed before I got this news, now I just dont care if it ever runs again or just gets hauled to the scrap yard. Mike

/ Almost got my YM135 up and running again. #8  
Do not have an injector pump, but do have 2 used injectors out of a 3T80 you can have. Not sure they will fit. If they do let me know where to send them..

PM sent, There might be hope yet on the IP, he found a bunch more crud inside the housing, might have been causing the problem, Still have to change out the injectors. I may know more tonight. I have my fingers crossed as I dread the cost to fix the IP. Mike

Better news from the mechanic, he cant find anything wrong with the injector pump other than some dirt and grime, its all clean now. The problem is one of the two injectors, the one with the tip melted away. The internal valve is stuck open, so fuel could flow all the time into the cylinder and compression gas could go back up the injector. The injectors are off getting rebuilt at a local diesel shop, should be back monday or tuesday. Just in time for a plowing meet next weekend I want to attend, good way to break in the engine and seat the rings. Mike